Pullman has called for a reintroduction of a minimum price for books, speaking to the Sunday Times this week. He wants to protect independent bookshops, particularly after independent booksellers criticised heavy discounts for La Belle Sauvage by bookselling giants in the UK such as Amazon, Tesco, and Waterstones, who are selling it for £10 insstead of the R.R.P. of £20.
As the Sunday Times is behind a paywall, you can read more about the issue with articles on the following sites:
- The Guardian: Philip Pullman leads writers condemning pernicious book discounts
- The Bookseller: Pullman calls for reintroduction of fixed book prices
- New Statestman: Have independent bookshops worked out how to survive in the age of Amazon?
- The Times: His dark Amazon: Philip Pullman wants curbs to save bookshops (behind a paywall)
- The Bookseller: Indie bookshops slam heavy discounting on Pullman