The Republic of Heaven

Alethiometer replica

Discuss general topics related to the series

Alethiometer replica

Postby juno » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:47 am

Okay, so I'm working on an alethiometer replica, and I'd love everyone's input / opinions.

I've seen the one used in the HDM play, but I'd rather go with the version depicted in the posters. I've also decided to go with no lid and just the velvet covering.

Here's my symbol test so far -- as you can see, it's made to fit on a 9cm aleth. You can view the test here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tv/66284760/
juno
Zalif

Postby Symon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:35 am

Cool. Nine centimetres seems about right.
rcknfcknrll
Symon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Alewyn » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:43 am

it looks awesome!
Alewyn
Witch

Postby Kyrillion » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:21 pm

Looks awesome? Isn;t it a bit early to tell what with so far it just being symbols from the British editions?

Anyway, I love the idea Juno (as I love your avatar - I kept meaning to edit the little birdy for my avatar) and wondered about exactly how you wanted to do it. Are you going to stick any mechanism inside so you can turn the dials? Or a magnet or something so the needle moves randomly?

My advice would be to find somethin in a junkshop you could base the shape on, but then I don;t know how skilled you are in metalwork - orif you were thinking more of a cardboard replica or something.

Another thoughts I had: in itself a pretend alethiometer is a pretty but useless object. Why not make it into a clock? I might try that myself, actually...
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby juno » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:21 pm

My replica is going to be of the poster aleth. I'll probably do the first one in resin, as that's what I have access to. I have some friends who cast bronze, but that may end up being to cost prohibitive for me.

I actually thought about doing a paper model version. I love Pepakura (paper model software) but in the end, I want something a bit more substantial. If I like what I turn out, I might microscribe it into the computer. Although I saw the 3D pic done on another Web site -- he could relatively easily turn that into a paper model. Heck, he could probably go to a rapid prototyping place and have a replica made that way.

That said, I know there are a lot easier ways I could be doing it, but part of the process is me learning different softwares and materials manipulation. I've played with resin casting before, doing replica medals for fencing competitions and such, but nothing as involved as this.

Last night I completed the template for tracing the symbols behind the hands. I threw a low-res version of it up on my flickr account along with a 9mm resized version of the poster alethiometer. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tv/sets/1430123/

I've given some thought to the internals -- from crazy stuff like using the innards of a multimeter so that when you hold it in two hands the needle moves based on your natural resistance to some electronics that will randomize the needle.

As to being pretty and unfunctional, that's what I'm all about ;-) sitting on my desk at the moment is a golden snitch, a glass cube containing the milky way, an astrolabe, and a time turner.

I love props and prop replicas, though I must admit this is my first from a book (the Harry Potter stuff is all based on the movie representations).

I've gone on way more than I intended, but I'm still having a good time!

Kyrillion -- did you notice my owl winks if you stare at him too long? ;-)

Last night I completed the template for tracing the symbols behind the hands. I threw a low-res version of it up on my flickr account along with a 9mm resized version of the poster alethiometer. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tv/sets/1430123/
juno
Zalif

Progress

Postby juno » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 pm

I'm working on the internal background.

I've actually decided to go with acid-etched magnesium that will then be coated to look like brass. These are my failed prototypes (one in wax -- I was going to cast it in plastic, and one in thin aluminum).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tv/6875720 ... t-1430123/
juno
Zalif

Dilemma dilemma...

Postby juno » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:03 pm

I have a bit of a dilemma...I had the centerpiece design acid etched into magnesium, and now I've fallen in love with it...I have a copper plate coming Monday, that I'm sure I'll fall in love with as well... the plan was to get the copper nickle then gold plated.

Go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/tv/sets/1430123/ to view the whole photo set.

The magnesium just looks so . . . subtle. . . if you know what I mean. I threw some coins in the pic for scale purposes.

My alethiometer may end up deviating from the pics...

Comments welcome (and encouraged and desperately pleaded for)...[/img]
juno
Zalif

Postby zemarl » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:07 am

ohhh that's beautiful! :D :D :D :cute:
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Undestined » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 am

It's very nice. Don't limit yourself to what's in the illustrations; it won't be as fun for you.
(The Sraffie Formerly Known as Zodiac)
Undestined
Armoured Bear

Postby juno » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:08 am

And I keep going and going . . .
More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tv/sets/1430123/
juno
Zalif

Postby Jez » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:05 pm

Wow, that's pretty. Love the intricate design. :D Good luck with it.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Jaya » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:49 pm

I'd go with the copper, if I were you. But that's mainly because I'm a perfectionist and would like to stick to the images we've got. And I'm not you, so go for whatever you love *nods vigorously*
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby juno » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:28 am

The completed ivory dial:
juno
Zalif

Postby Symon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:44 am

oooooohhhhhh!

Can I please have it?
rcknfcknrll
Symon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby juno » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:36 pm

Yet another test assembly. The inner ring isn't completely cleaned off (that's why it's no spray painted). I will also (probably) recast the center section because I feel that the symbols need to be raised a bit more.

juno
Zalif

Postby Townie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:59 pm

*Curses talented person*

That's truely impressive, mate - stick these on ebay and they'll go like there's no tomorrow!
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby juno » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:06 pm

At first I thought that this would end up being one-of-a-kind, but with the processes I'm using, I'm positive that I'll be able to "mass" produce a non-working (the crowns won't turn, or the hands) version.
juno
Zalif

Postby Cookiemonster » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:10 pm

Wow, that looks amazing. I'm really impressed with your talent and creativity!
Genius is always allowed some leeway, after the hammer has been prised from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up - Thief Of Time.

There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup. - Thief Of Time

*Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Re-install Universe And Reboot* - Hogfather

To travel between universes would require an extremely subtle knife, or a cunning spoon - Callum

:cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Bunnies!

ImageImage
Cookiemonster
Sweet and Delicious

Postby Alewyn » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:39 pm

*wishes she has talents to make alethiometers*
*or anything constructive, for that matter*
Meraa mitra yahaan aaiye.

Of course, if dryers were the link between the worlds, then Will would be spending all his free time jumping into dryers.

We must build the Republic of Heaven in the dryer...
Alewyn
Witch

Postby Will » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:46 am

Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk