The Republic of Heaven

M: Trailers, Teasers, TV Spots, etc

Discussion for the adaptations of HDM: Movie (M), Audio (A), Stage Play (SP) and Sega’s videogame (VG).

M: Trailers, Teasers, TV Spots, etc

Postby Gabe » Mon May 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Laura » Mon May 21, 2007 8:47 pm

*squeals in an utterly fangirl manner*

Yay Gabe! :cute: I'm so happy I could cry!

*goes to watch it again*
"I infect the entire Net" ---Hexadecimal
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Blossom » Mon May 21, 2007 8:50 pm

*omgs*

oh come on, looooooaaaaddd :evil:
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Diolmhain » Mon May 21, 2007 8:53 pm

It's slightly shrunk my hatred... how... how... ood...
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Blossom » Mon May 21, 2007 8:57 pm

Iorek = good

Flying machines/other = bad

Acting = unconvincing

Yet on the whole I suppose it's looking ok. Like Duncan said, the withces seem to be floating :? Whilst holding a branch..

Oh and I DO NOT approve of Holst being used in such a feeble un-Mars related way.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Tomsy » Mon May 21, 2007 9:17 pm

I likes cheeky Lyra I do.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Blossom » Mon May 21, 2007 9:20 pm

What did you use to do that?
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Laura » Mon May 21, 2007 9:21 pm

Where are the daemons? They aren't all that obvious in the trailer, are they? Still, those half-finished effects shots we saw in the first look trailer are looking pretty nifty now. :D
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Diolmhain » Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Lee looks the part

i realise this is practically spam but it's my 1000th post!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Blossom » Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 pm

Laura wrote:Where are the daemons? They aren't all that obvious in the trailer, are they? Still, those half-finished effects shots we saw in the first look trailer are looking pretty nifty now. :D

I don't think it looks like anything has been done to that hideous red carraige. Everything still looks so unfinished. What was there budget? :?

Ok, I've watched it a few times now and I cannot for the life of me work out what Lee says to Iorek. Anybody...?
Last edited by Blossom on Mon May 21, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Laura » Mon May 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Blossom wrote:
Laura wrote:Where are the daemons? They aren't all that obvious in the trailer, are they? Still, those half-finished effects shots we saw in the first look trailer are looking pretty nifty now. :D

I don't think it looks like anything has been done to that hideous red carraige. Everything still looks so unfinished. What was there budget? :?

Yes. the carriage is god-awful. And (I know next to nothing about the film industry) don't they usually go behind schedule with post-production? I know LOTR did.
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Ursae Majoris » Mon May 21, 2007 9:39 pm

It looks very promising and it eliminates a lot doubt about the movie, even though I haven't been able to view it very well. Damn proprietary formats. :x
Having trouble trying to build the Republic of Heaven? Well, take a break and YOU could help build the largest database of HDM knowledge in the world. Join Project:WIKI!

For more information check out the Wiki thread

(no penguins were harmed in the making of this message)
Ursae Majoris
Gallivespian Spy

Postby missmolly » Mon May 21, 2007 10:07 pm

Ohmygoodness, Nicole Kidman's voice when she says "She must be found!" gives me chills! Of course, I've been picturing her as the character since the beginning of time :)

I am so excited for this, I think it all looks so promising!
missmolly
Gyptian

AOL: mllementeuse

Postby Jaya » Mon May 21, 2007 10:21 pm

I'm in two minds. On the whole I liked it. The score was pretty good. Kidman doesn't look like Coulter, but whatever - that's done now. I DIDN'T like Iorek's voice but I do like how he looks and the trailer certainly has impact. On DBR...Hmm. I think I can see the way she ACTS like Lyra but I'm still not sure how the whole thing will pan out...

I'll reserve my judgement for when the film is released :)
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Radagast » Mon May 21, 2007 10:37 pm

Best moment: "I have a contract with that child!"
Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall.
Radagast
Grazer

Postby Aurone » Mon May 21, 2007 10:38 pm

This is going to............OWN!

Cheers! :drink:
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Penguin_Factory » Mon May 21, 2007 10:47 pm

Yay!

Before I get to the footage, I just want to say that the trailer itself wasn't all that great. I actually thought parts of the previous work-in-progress thing was more exciting. It didn't reveal all that much of the plot and it was a little dull. That's just the composition/ editing though, it has nothing to do with the footage itself.

Anyway. Impressions:

- I really don't like the Lord of the Rings thing at the start. I don't know why, it just bothers me.

- I love pretty much the entire adult cast, although Iorek sounds..... odd. I'll probably get used to his voice.

- We didn't really get to see enough of DBR to make any judgements. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, remember that we're seeing small snippets of acting taken out of their context here. It's very difficult to judge quality from that.

- Does it mean anything that Fra Pavel used the word "heresy"? That's twice now we've seen phrases with explicitly religious overtones.

- Oxford looks completely different to how I had imagined it, but it's pretty cool so I'm not complaining.

- I like the way the witches fly, it looks awesome ^^

- The design of the vehicles is growing on me, but they need to improve the CG. It still looks raw and unfinished. I suppose they've got months still to fix that, though.

- Polar bear battle! Hooray!

That's all for now. I am a bit dissapointed with how the trailer was put together- I love exciting, epic trailers- but I suppose we'll see another one closer to the release date.

Ok, I've watched it a few times now and I cannot for the life of me work out what Lee says to Iorek. Anybody...?

I think he says something about Iorek joining the "turkey shoot".
Penguin_Factory
Zalif

Postby Jamie » Mon May 21, 2007 11:13 pm

I think it looks poor to be honest. Asriel doesn't look assertive enough and Lyra's delivery of the line 'to fight' was pretty weak. The carriages and balloons etc. just look stupid really.

Looks like they've cut the jaw ripping as you can actually see the killer blow at the end of the trailer with Iorek crouching down feinting and then springing up. I don't really like his animation or voice but that's just personal.

The only daemons I can see are the Magisterium guards' dogs, and Stelmaria and Pan squaring up.

The best bit seemed to be Bolvagner, I have high hopes for that section of the film and there's a good shot of Lyra and all the kids in front of the station. Coulter seems to be perfect, I think Kidman's nailed the role.

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby jordan college girl » Mon May 21, 2007 11:35 pm

I got MAJOR goosebumpage, even before the footage began. I have decided not to make any decisions on the film until I see it, I am just overjoyed to see these characters in the flesh. *Shivers in awe*
"We sure are cute for two ugly people." - Juno
jordan college girl
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Gabe » Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 am

Ok, finally got back from my classes and got a chance to see the trailer. Wow, I have to say that it brings back the feeling of the book for me...I never really explicitly imagined things, but as far as the overall feel the movie seems to be pretty much in line with what I felt reading the book. I'm really starting to get excited...this is way more than I could possibly have hoped for four years ago (and I know some people have been waiting far longer). :D

Jamie wrote:Looks like they've cut the jaw ripping as you can actually see the killer blow at the end of the trailer with Iorek crouching down feinting and then springing up.

No, the jaw rip is still in according to the Cannes reports.
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Return to “%s” His Dark Materials Adaptations