The Republic of Heaven

TBOD: A Book of Dust trilogy?

Discuss general topics related to the series

TBOD: A Book of Dust trilogy?

Postby daemon_light » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:16 pm

I think it would be REALLY neat if good ol' Phil, made a trilogy of the Book of Dust. It would not only be great for the fans of the original trilogy, but it would be just in time for a HDM craze, the movie coming out and all.

It would be kinda cool if he called the first one (duh) the Book of Dust, then the second the Book of Shadows, and the third the Book of Sraf. That would be interesting and a little wink for the book fans.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Basically no :P He won't. He doesn't have time, and frankly I don't think Mr Pullman could care any less about an "HDM craze" - he's a storyteller, and he's already said he has other stories to tell, and that after TBoD he has no more time for Lyra and co...
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby daemon_light » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:24 pm

Makes sense. It is more important to a writer to tell a story then to just want to be popular. But I do like the concept. Maybe TBOD will be split into parts like NL (and I hope the parts would be called BOD, BOSh, BOSr :wink: :roll: )
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:27 pm

You just want to get in all your titles ;) Yes I imagine there will be some splitting. He seems to like that, and especially with the format of individual short stories, there will be more capacity for it. Just look at Lyra's Oxford - the book was called one thing, the story and entirely different thing. I suspect you're probably right in this respect!
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby SoulLily » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:48 pm

Hm, I like those titles! I doubt he'll make three whole books more out of them, but the splitting sounds likely.
To be myself, I have to put on an act.
- Philip Pullman, The Broken Bridge

SoulLily
Gallivespian Spy

Postby daemon_light » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:05 am

SoulLily wrote:Hm, I like those titles!

Thanks! I hoped some fans would like it :wink:
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby shinoshaki » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm

The titles are cool, you know, related like the HDM ones, but as Ian said I don't think Pullman will have so much to tell... it would be great though...

it's a pity that he only seems to be talking about Lyra, isn't it? I mean, I understand why, but I do miss reading about Will...
shinoshaki
Grazer

Postby AUST » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Ian wrote:Basically no :P He won't. He doesn't have time, and frankly I don't think Mr Pullman could care any less about an "HDM craze" - he's a storyteller, and he's already said he has other stories to tell, and that after TBoD he has no more time for Lyra and co...

Agreed! A book of Dust trilogy would also ruin it...
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby daemon_light » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:00 pm

Yeah... I can see what you're saying. It would almost be too much
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Roronoa Zoro » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:37 am

Well Pullman has been consistent in saying the BoD will be a big book, so as far as having more HDM, i think we'll have plenty.

But then one has to question what his definition of "big" is. My guess is around 700 pages or so. Or my hope. And if this is the case, who needs a whole trilogy?
Roronoa Zoro
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Aurone » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:53 am

Here's what I am wondering, is this still a big book of multiple storys? Pullman announced his plans to release a small book similar to Lyra's Oxford about Lee and Iorick, and hinted that he may do the same with Will in the distant future. Will this be more about Lyra in a large story or will it be what more of a book of stories?
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Roronoa Zoro » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:00 am

I'm pretty sure the Book of Dust will be one long narrative, from the sound of it. It sounds very much like the story has gotten away from Pullman's original intentions. Which is good for all of us who hoped for another epic adventure with Lyra.
Roronoa Zoro
Gallivespian Spy

Postby DustDaemon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:10 pm

As we have said its wishful thinking, hough we'd all like somemore adventure, but, as said above, TBoD will be a big book. The possibilities are endless ;)
Like it? £1 Love it? £2 Hate it? £50
DustDaemon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby jessia » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:35 pm

it looks like the companion trilogy we're about to see coming into production is the series of little red, blue, and green books. when i think of the book of dust these days, i'm beginning to think of a series of vignettes and essays situated inside (but not about) the world of hdm... like a couple chapters of l-world genesis or the serafina-farder coram love story. (the blue book will cover the lee and iorek adventures it seems.)
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby daemon_light » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:43 am

I don't know if I want a huge story though anymore... I like how it ended, but I don't know. I won't complain if it comes out and is fantastic.
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Postby Somewhat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:32 am

I wonder why he decided to make the red blue green miniature trilogy first? At first, Lyra's Oxford was supposed to be the bridging book between HDM and TBoD. Now it appears that this set of booklets will be the bridge. In my opinion, either he's trying to get away with writing as much as possible about his worlds, thus releasing these extras as well as TBoD... or he's procrastinating because he's stalled with the TBoD story. In either case, I have a feeling that releasing all this and a whole big book is going to dilute the effect TBoD was going to carry.
Just my 2 cents. Or $26.20, adjusted for inflation.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby king of Svalbard » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 am

Unless it's a huge book(wich I doubt), I see no reason for him to make it a trilogy.

I love the idea of those titles though.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it's not real"
-Dumbledore
king of Svalbard
Grazer

Postby Penguin_Factory » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:35 pm

I keep forgetting this is coming....

It will be exciting to see an older Lyra. I really liked the direction her character development was taking at the end of The Amber Spyglass.

Also, this is a bit off topic, but tomorrow I'm buying the new edition of TAS and I was wondering whether I should pick up Lyra's Oxford as well. I remember it being quite expensive. Is it worth the money? Apparently the Book of Dust will feature a continuation of the story from that, and I don't want to miss anything.
Penguin_Factory
Zalif

Postby aklebury » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:45 am

Whether or not it's worth the money depends on how much you liked the story I guess. Some people found it too short, but I think it's worth owning. Especially because then you have all the HDM books handy whenever you feel like reading them...
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby daemon_light » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:51 am

I found it defiantly worth the buy, but I only had to buy it for like 5 or 7 bucks cause it was used. Since it looked exactly new, I didn't mind. I really enjoyed the story though because of its simplicity. The map of oxford is so cool anyway and with all it little side note things like the postcard made it all worth it
daemon_light
Diurnally Nocturnal

Return to “%s” General The Book of Dust Talk