The Republic of Heaven

TBOD: Angelica, a minor character worth mentioning again?

Discuss general topics related to the series

TBOD: Angelica, a minor character worth mentioning again?

Postby Aurone » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:56 pm

The Book of Dust as we all know is a bunch of stories, before and after HDM Trilogy. There was one character that kinda got forgotten since her roll wasn't that important to the story. The girl who Will and Lyra met, the one who hated them because her brother died when Will took the knife. From what we saw in TSK, she seemed like a harsh leader and motivator. You think these are enough to possibly give her a small story and shows what becomes of her? I think if used right, she would be worth re-focusing on.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby jessia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:28 pm

angelica? (shame teh wiki's still down)
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Aurone » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Yeah, Angelica, couldn't find it anywhere. Looking back, I can see that her character wasn't needed, but still very powerfull non the less. The scene that struck me the most was that Lee and John Parry saw her training kids to fight on the beach, which to me futher shows her influence and power that could be evolved on.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby jessia » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:45 am

i think her character is required. it doesn't really feed into the theme of the story, but her leadership of the mob of children attacking the cat and later will and lyra demonstrates to lyra how cruel kids can be, which she talks to will about late, who's already experienced that.

she also shows a strong personal reaction to the loss of family to the spectres directly to lyra (previously only seen by serafina).

i think there might be a tie-in with will's unusual upbringing. it isn't fair to say there's not strong adult in his life, but elaine parry wasn't always lucid. angelica, paolo, and tulio, and most of the children in cittagazze had virtually no adults in their lives either.

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Aimee » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Angellica is needed to show Lyra how people can feel about their family. She had never known anyone to be close with family before and I don't think Lyra would have been infulenced much by the mob of children if it hadn't been for Angellica.
Also I really want to know the story behind the cat in TSK. I really liked it and I wish it had gone with L and W in the stories!
The worlds a mess. And I just need to rule it.
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby aklebury » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:23 am

ah the cat :D
the one thing that was always in the back of my mind throughout the subtle knife was whether Will's cat, Moxie was ok... just a little thing but i think Pullman handles it nicely having Will wonder about her briefly :wink:

Having said that I think Anjellica would certainly be interesting enough of a character to sustain my interest in a short story/chapter, but i can't really see what she would bring to the Book of Dust
- meaning that there's not any real reason to include her unless prehaps it's to show what happened to Cittagazze after the Spectres had gone and all the windows had been closed (ie. how they had to "rebuild" their world without the ability to steal things from other worlds as they used to, but with the bonus of no more spectres)
aklebury
Angel

Postby Aimee » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:01 pm

It would be interseting to find out where the other cat come from. Was she just a random cat who wandered in by mistake or was she there for a reason.... Find out on "This was your story I made up and if you argue with me I will kill you!"
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Somewhat » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:19 am

There wasn't another cat. There was the tabby Will saw climbing into Cittagazze; it was the same cat the children had attacked.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aimee » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:30 pm

REALLY!? Now there's something I didn't know. I just thought the cat reminded him of his cat.
Oh well you learn something new every day and so on.
I really need to read the books again
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Somewhat » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:31 am

Ah, no. There were two cats, Moxie was his and tripped the man over; the other cat was the only one in Cittagazze. Sorry about getting you confused. :P
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aimee » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:10 pm

Right! Now I am fine!
So it wasn't Moxie.
Can I just say it would be intresting to hear the story about the witch that fell in love with Jhon Parry!
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby aklebury » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:18 am

ooh yea good thought...

there are so many throwaway references made to other stories during the trilogy such as the witch who loved John Parry; Farder Coram and Serafina Pekkala + their son; how Iorek and Lee met etc.etc.

It'll be really good to be given some more detail off these even if they aren't 100% neccessary (ie. the trilogy as it stands is perfectly fine without them)
aklebury
Angel

Postby Aimee » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:57 am

I'm one of those people who as soon as I am given a snipet of a back story I make the rest up for myself. So the BOD will be a great book for me to read when it comes out.
I would also like to know about Angelias brother and why he got the knife.
The story of the knife bearers would be intresting as well.
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby jessia » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:29 pm

i think he got the knife so he could survive...

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby aklebury » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:01 am

yeah, didn't he just want to protect his family from the spectres?

i'm pretty sure his motives were well-intentioned, even if his methods weren't
aklebury
Angel

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:56 am

Getting back to Angelica, briefly. I think she was necessary because it made Will's fight with Tullio (her brother) for the knife more powerful. If he was just some random guy, with no connection to Will and Lyra, the fight would have been much less impersonal. The fact that he was the brother of someone known to Lyra and Will gave the fight a further level of moral complexity...
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Aurone » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:24 pm

I think the fact that she managed to control the other children the way she did and play the role of leader so powerfully is reason enough to show what becomes of her. I'm thinking more of the years after HDM when the windows are shut and Cittegazze is left alone again. With out the Spectres, the powers that be must be trying to get the world back in order, but Angelica and other chidlren who grew up with out authority might rebel, and she would be prime canidate to help lead that rebellion.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:10 pm

And wouldn't there also be a whole bunch of adults running around with their brains completely Spectre-wiped? Or did closing the doors return Spectre-affected adults to normal? If it didn't, the Cittagazze society will be completely unbalanced...
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby aklebury » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:51 am

Aurone wrote:I think the fact that she managed to control the other children the way she did and play the role of leader so powerfully is reason enough to show what becomes of her.

she very much comes across as Lyra's equal in many ways
aklebury
Angel

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:27 am

aklebury wrote:she very much comes across as Lyra's equal in many ways

Sort of like a 'this is how Lyra would have turned out if she had lived in a world without adults' kind of thing? A warning?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” General The Book of Dust Talk