The Republic of Heaven

News on The Book Of Dust

Discuss general topics related to the series

Postby Ian » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:32 pm

*realises he's still not written up his trip to Oxford to see Pullman speak*

Pullman, and his publisher David Fickling, both said pretty categorically that Book of Dust would be published sometime in 2009.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Somewhat » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:21 pm

Ian wrote:*realises he's still not written up his trip to Oxford to see Pullman speak*

Pullman, and his publisher David Fickling, both said pretty categorically that Book of Dust would be published sometime in 2009.

Is this the first time we've been given a definitive date?
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Kirsty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:54 pm

2009? Oh dear.. I don't know, maybe I was expecting it sooner than that.
Kirsty
Zalif

Postby jessia » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:39 pm

it makes sense since they've inserted once upon a time in the north for 2008 release.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Kirsty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:10 pm

Yeah, of course, but I'm just being impatient.
Kirsty
Zalif

Postby Blossom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:12 pm

:? why is 2009 a bad thing? Makes the experience last longer. It's not like there aren't other HDM things to occupy our time until then.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Kirsty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 pm

Like I said, I'm impatient.
And it's just been a long wait, for me personally.
Kirsty
Zalif

Postby Grumman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:40 am

jessia wrote:the little blue book comes out in 2008. i feel like it was ready for 2007 but they delayed it to space out releases. also, if TSK won't be ready for christmas season 2008, it means TBOD will be released around the same time as TSK and they'll be jointly publicised.

Don't loose faith. One of these days Pullman may really get to publish a new book. :wink:

What we can say in his favour is that at least he doesn't publish half cooked books like JKR or other well know best seller writers.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby keff » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:59 am

Grumman wrote:
jessia wrote:the little blue book comes out in 2008. i feel like it was ready for 2007 but they delayed it to space out releases. also, if TSK won't be ready for christmas season 2008, it means TBOD will be released around the same time as TSK and they'll be jointly publicised.

Don't loose faith. One of these days Pullman may really get to publish a new book. :wink:

What we can say in his favour is that at least he doesn't publish half cooked books like JKR or other well know best seller writers.

Sorry...I tend to miss cultural references.
I have a tiny copy of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" (by Newt Scamander) from her. Are those little pseudo-textbooks what you are referring to, or ?
keff
Zalif

Postby jessia » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 am

there's no "loose" of faith grumman.

i'm actually quite happy about the little blue book. it looks exciting, and moreso than LO. and i quite enjoyed the comic relief publications by JK rowling. there were more interesting than the crappier parts of the harry potter series.

(i'm actually more interested in pullman writing something completely new than TBOD. the little blue book and i guess the projected little green book satiate my HDM-needs. i'd rather see something outside of it all, like a storybook as wonderful as clockwork or a novel that takes place in the now like the white mercedes/the butterfly tattoo or the broken bridge addressing some of the things he talks about other than god.)
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby zemarl » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:04 pm

i agree with jess, clockwork was brilliantly different. sometimes those authors who keep publishing work on the same masterpiece even after they're dead tend to irritate the hell out of me, so i'm glad he has at least something of a range to begin with. the little blue book and little green book may be great preludes to the book of dust, but i find it hard to believe that even he can top his own dark materials (and to be quite honest i'm sick of people creating religious tension for the sake of having religious tension; the initial intentions may be good but you get these little waves of atheists converting people to the trend of being cooler than god and most of them are stupid as ~*pineapples*~).
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Grumman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:29 am

keff wrote:
Grumman wrote:What we can say in his favour is that at least he doesn't publish half cooked books like JKR or other well know best seller writers.

Sorry...I tend to miss cultural references.
I have a tiny copy of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" (by Newt Scamander) from her. Are those little pseudo-textbooks what you are referring to, or ?

No. I mean books like Half Blood Prince, which could have been a good book if JKR had just worked on it a bit more, instead of rushing it to print.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby Blossom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:52 am

Eh? HBP is practicaly the best Potter book of the lot.

And as for Pullman always writing good books, what about Lyra's Oxford? It was rubbish, just an obvious attempt to rob the fans of a tenner.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Grumman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:40 pm

Blossom wrote:Eh? HBP is practicaly the best Potter book of the lot.

And as for Pullman always writing good books, what about Lyra's Oxford? It was rubbish, just an obvious attempt to rob the fans of a tenner.

I strongly disagree on your first statement, but have to agree on the second one.

I don't mean that HBP was entirely bad. It had some brilliant chapters. However, regarding the whole "flirting issue" she just blew it. I've seen better fan-fics than that. I generally liked Deathly Hallows, although I think she could have written a better ending. The epilogue chapter could have been better too. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it was the best in the series.

Lyra's Oxford is a nice little book with a good short story, and interesting material for comparison, which unfortunately has little meaning if you don't know real life Oxford. I remember spending hours examining the material. However, as I wrote above, I agree with you that it makes you wonder if it was worth its cost. In a way it's interesting ancillary work, just as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, but more expensive. I've never recommended anyone to buy it.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby Enitharmon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Blossom wrote:And as for Pullman always writing good books, what about Lyra's Oxford? It was rubbish, just an obvious attempt to rob the fans of a tenner.

I would disagree with that assessment. But as a better example, has anybody else had the experience of reading Galatea?. Long out of print, much to PP's relief I imagine.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Grumman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:03 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
Blossom wrote:And as for Pullman always writing good books, what about Lyra's Oxford? It was rubbish, just an obvious attempt to rob the fans of a tenner.

I would disagree with that assessment. But as a better example, has anybody else had the experience of reading Galatea?. Long out of print, much to PP's relief I imagine.

Do you mean Cervantes' novel? He kept promising he'd soon publish the second part, but he never did. However, he published The Quijote instead. Is that what you mean?
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Return to “%s” General The Book of Dust Talk