The Republic of Heaven

Other author's descriptions of the Aurora Borealis

Discuss other ideas related to His Dark Materials here (e.g. multiverse theory. philosophical questions, theology...etc.)

Other author's descriptions of the Aurora Borealis

Postby dumbledad » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:10 pm

Anyone got any favourite descriptions of the Aurora Borealis by other authors? I came across this one in Gerard Manley Hopkins' journal dated The 24th of September 1870
Gerard Manley Hopkins wrote:First saw the Northern Lights. My eyes were caught by beams of light and dark very like the crown of horny rays the sun makes behind a cloud. At first I thought of silvery cloud until I saw that these were more luminous and did not dim the clearness of the stars in the Bear. They rose slightly radiating thrown out from the earthline. Then I saw soft pulses of light one after another rise and pass upwards arched in shape but waveringly and with the arch broken. They seemed to float, not following the warp of the sphere as falling stars look to do but free though concentrical with it. This busy working of nature wholly independent of the earth and seeming to go on in a strain of time not reckoned by our reckoning of days and years but simpler and as if correcting the preoccupation of the world by being preoccupied with and appealing to and dated to the day of judgement was like a new witness to God and filled me with delightful fear.
It's beautiful eh? But almost the opposite of the Pullman philosophy, where I doubt the fear of God would be described as delightful.
Last edited by dumbledad on Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dumbledad
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: dumbledad

Postby Haku » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:06 pm

I think there is a wonderful description in a Jules Verne's book I read some month ago. The french title for that book is Le Pays des Fourrures
(Fur's Country ???)
The action take place in Cap Bathurst, in the North Canada. I could try to find it, if you want...
Aims at all the nonchalence proper to a prince of the air.
Since over 10 years, The Book of Dust will be published in 2 years.
Haku
Gyptian

Return to “%s” Other Ideas