The Republic of Heaven

Other Pullman Books

Discuss other books by the author, and Pullman related news here

Postby EtherealAnguish » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:20 am

I've read Galatea!! It was my first experience with Pullman, actually. Quite an interesting book that I'd like to re-read for some of the finer points. Overall I enjoyed it, but I've heard that Pullman isn't overly fond of the novel.
I swear I'll melt if you touch me at all, but then I'll ask you to do it again and again
EtherealAnguish
Grazer

Postby jessia » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:22 am

it's the one he'll talk about at least - the haunted storm, he's barely even named in interviews. i think he both regards them as not up to the standard he holds now, especially since they were written so early in his career. even still, the haunted storm won a young writer's award.

philip pullman at unicon wrote:It’s a book which I remain fond of. I think Gollancz had a fantasy, or science fantasy, list at the time, and it had this limited life in this country, but it continues to lurk in the States. Each time I go over there and I’m signing the books which are currently in print, someone comes along with a second-hand copy of Galatea and asks me to sign that. Also there’s a chap at R____? University, I think, who’s apparently teaching it, using photocopied stuff, and there’s a fellow in Seattle, University of Washington, who wrote a chapter on it in a book about post-modernism – in which he also talks about Dean Martin, Andy Warhol and somebody else. I’m very happy to belong to that company. So, Dean Martin and I are icons of post-modernism. But I hope it’ll come back into print, because it is a book which I remain fond of. I don’t know how you’d classify it; but then classifying anything is terribly hard. I don’t know what’s fantasy and what isn’t fantasy. I suppose sort of magical realist … it’s a year or two too early for the magic realist thing, otherwise it’d have ridden that wave, but it didn’t.

but unicon was in 2000... i've heard other things about the idea of a reprint since - but he is indeed fond of it.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby EtherealAnguish » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Also there’s a chap at R____? University, I think, who’s apparently teaching it, using photocopied stuff

:lol: my professor also photocopied the book for us

Well, glad to hear that Pullman does, in fact, like Galatea because I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.
I swear I'll melt if you touch me at all, but then I'll ask you to do it again and again
EtherealAnguish
Grazer

Postby jessia » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:47 am

scan?

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby EtherealAnguish » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:46 am

if i scan it can i post it on here? or does that go against the rules?
EtherealAnguish
Grazer

Postby jessia » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:53 am

you could probably circulate it independently... like you send me a copy, i send this person a copy, etc.

i don't know how the copyright rules work out if professors have already been photocopying... but photocopies through universities, there's often money that goes back to the author some how (which is why those spiral bound photocopies cost so much more than the paper and the wire).

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Jaya » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Copyright laws here say you can only photocopy a certain percentage of a book, although i don't know if there are different percentages if the photocopies are being used for educational purposes. You should probably check them out, though.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Ian » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:30 pm

Yes, I think you're right. Differing laws in copyright between North America and the UK. However, as long as you didn't mention it to openly, I see no reason why you couldn't pass it around...after all, you could argue it's not available anywhere else...
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby EtherealAnguish » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:47 pm

I see...well...I suppose I could just email it to one person and have that person send it to one person and so on. That probably is in some kind of violation of copyright laws, but I'd feel better about doing that than just posting it somewhere. So, who wants to be the first person?
EtherealAnguish
Grazer

Re: Other Pullman Books

Postby kaoshoneybun » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:30 am

Trying to track down an uncut american version of Thw White Mercedes / Butterfly Tattoo - anyone got any clues for me eg. isbn, publisher or year?
THanks v.much
Children of the future age,
Reading this indignant page,
Know that in a former time
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime.

William Blake, A Little Girl Lost
kaoshoneybun
Gyptian

Return to “%s” Philip Pullman Discussion