The Republic of Heaven

Future Trilogy From Pullman?

Discuss other books by the author, and Pullman related news here

Future Trilogy From Pullman?

Postby Tristan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:37 pm

Interesting bit at the end of the article in TheAlienOnline (http://www.thealienonline.net/ao_030.asp?tid=1&scid=11&iid=1897), which said: "Looking to the future, Pullman has said that that he may produce another trilogy and a future story may well feature Lyra growing up. [Who knows, perhaps she'll date Harry Potter in a Hollywood crossover two decades hence but in Pullman's literary universe instead...]"

Ok, the last bit's just disturbing, but any thoughts on what the first part meant? Surely it doesn't mean a trilogy in the same world as HDM does it? I hope not... I want to see some completely new stuff from Pullman. I hope the bit about Lyra growing up means Lyra's Oxford, but it's worded to sound as if it could be something longer. hmm. any thoughts?
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby TonyOn » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:41 pm

I don't think the author of that story knows what he's talking about... And writing stories in the HDM world wouldn't be that bad... As long as they don't concentrate on the previous main characters...

Thanks to Sarah Ellerton (http://www.arts-angel.com) for the pic of Quistis Trepe.
Thanks to Nix for hosting the sig.
Thanks to me for putting it together.
TonyOn
Delegate

Postby Daniel » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:51 pm

Hmm... I think it's supposed to mean some non-HDM trilogy and LO.

What's even more disturbing is the fact that they linked to HDM.org as a source and not us, even though we had more complete stage play info days before they did.
*sigh* Well, at least you tried.
Daniel
Tinkerer

AOL: polveroj

Postby TonyOn » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:58 pm

Daniel wrote:Hmm... I think it's supposed to mean some non-HDM trilogy and LO.

Just re-read it, you're right, they're referring to a non-HDM trilogy, and (probably) LO

Thanks to Sarah Ellerton (http://www.arts-angel.com) for the pic of Quistis Trepe.
Thanks to Nix for hosting the sig.
Thanks to me for putting it together.
TonyOn
Delegate

Postby Tristan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:31 pm

Well a non-HDM trilogy would be great :D Yeah, I'm interested to read LO and BOD and all that, but Pullman is way too talented to just stick with the HDM related story for much longer...

What's even more disturbing is the fact that they linked to HDM.org as a source and not us, even though we had more complete stage play info days before they did.

Days? Heck, we had detailed info at least a month before they did... and still have way more (but I'm biased...). The writer probably just typed in hisdarkmaterials.com [official book page, so nothing much there...], hisdarkmaterials.net [future official movie site], then hisdarkmaterials.org and found some stuff.... guess they didn't search google for 'his dark materials stage play'... 'cause I'm pretty sure we're the number one result for that.
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Nix » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:34 pm

strange, i thought we owned .net

[edit: or rather, You did]
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby Tristan » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:35 pm

I own DARKMATERIALS.net, not HISdarkmaterials.net... new line got to it first, or I would have...
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Nix » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:40 pm

aah, ok
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby jessia » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:22 pm

is there anything at the official site?

Looking to the future, Pullman has said that that he may produce another trilogy and a future story may well feature Lyra growing up

well, the way this sentence is written... it's really "pullman has said that he may produce another trilogy," and "pullman has said a future story may well future lyra growing up."
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Tristan » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:31 am

No, the National Theatre's site is the only "official" site that has stage play info... and there's nothing at hisdarkmaterials.net yet if that's what you meant.
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby AySz88 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:59 am

Daniel wrote:What's even more disturbing is the fact that they linked to HDM.org as a source and not us, even though we had more complete stage play info [a month] before they did.

Great Minds Think Alike.

BTW, we are #2 for 'his dark materials stage play' (the Albemarle site is #1).

And jessia's right, it's not necessarily that the trilogy would be about HDM...
- Don't let your processing power go to waste! Volunteer Your PC and fight against cancer and more!
- My nickname looks like alphabet soup to people, so I go by "Soup".
<-- That's my dæmon! (Celierra, ce-lee-air-ra) - "wei" means "my dæmon/human and I"
Okibi on dæmons in this forum
Life is much more like a soap opera than most people think.
Tom Stoppard wrote:No problem is insoluble given a big enough plastic bag.
- On the National Theatre's plastic bags.
AySz88
Celierra, Red Fox

Yahoo Messenger: AySz88
AOL: AySz88

Postby Phit » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:06 pm

alright i suppose i have to stand up for em...uh...nah i'll admit i always come to BTTS for news an updates :D which is why i finally signed up an all...if i were important over there or something i would post updates like mad, too many technical problems to focus on content it seems....anyway, another trilogy? I could see PP using Lyra's world as a starting place, although I'd figure he would move to London or somewhere else as Oxford is really overcrowded by Lyra. I can't see him going back to the victorian novel after HDM but I could see something more clearly realistic. but i would love it too if PP had a whole new fully developed world, he could do it!
-be a pal...pass the mead
Phit
Gyptian

Postby Will » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:18 pm

*Waves frantically* I didn't see this topic here. Anyone want to know where thealienonline got that bit of info from? I tracked it down using their list of sources for the stories and here it is in all it's glory:

''He remains, however, "more comfortable with large structures" and promises another "big, baggy book" like the trilogy. It may even feature a familiar heroine. "Lyra constantly surprised me when I was writing the trilogy, and I'm sure there are lots of surprises yet to come," says Philip Pullman. "I can see her growing up ..." ''

And that was from January the second btw..
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Tristan » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:21 pm

that was from http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/entertain ... 20Standard , just to clarify... thanks for finding that Blighty :) Yes, in that quote it certainly looks like it's referring to LO.
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Angel to follow » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:30 pm

i still need a sequel people! hu doesn't want 2 c another will n lyra book?
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Tristan » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:35 pm

Will AND Lyra? I certainly don't. As has been said before, that story has come to an end, and should stay that way. I'm anxious for the Book of Dust though... but once that's done, I hope Pullman will start on another full length book or series not HDM related... (btw, welcome to the boards! :) )
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Peter » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:58 pm

angel to follow wrote:i still need a sequel people! hu doesn't want 2 c another will n lyra book?

Me
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Enitharmon » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:59 pm

Ceres Wunderkind wrote:
angel to follow wrote:i still need a sequel people! hu doesn't want 2 c another will n lyra book?

Me

Me neither. If the question means what I think it might do - I'm not altogether sure :wink:
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby conna » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:16 am

A new trilagy would be good I just hope it has a good a much better ending then the last one did at least.

And would be ok to see it done in HDM universa I dont see why not sice its all in different dimensions.
conna
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby HDM Head 24-7 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:58 pm

i loved HDM and honestly, as long as he doesn't do it for the money (cause there always bad then) i would love to see much more of Lyra. LO just made me want more. And knowing that TBOD is not really about Lyra Is Kind of a Let down. dont get me wrong i cant wait to read it and learn more about the secondary people

Side not: anyone know why the pics arbt showin up. most are just question marks. I dont know. im in school so maybe its cause the pic is not on this computer?

This is like ther fourth time ive added to this post.You people gave me a thought. Pullman could do more books (trilogy) it the same HDM universe and what not and not completly related, but ther would have to be some relation between them like maybe running into Serafina or something. mybe some reference to a little girl who stop the world from ending.
Into this wild abyss, The womb of nature and perhaps her grave, of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire, But all these in their pregnant causes mixed Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, Unless the almighty maker them ordain His dark materials to create more worlds, Into this wild abyss the wary fiend Stood on the brink of hell and looked a while, Pondering his voyage...John Milton-Paradise Lost-Book 2
HDM Head 24-7
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: bigforyou85
AOL: svq2

Return to “%s” Philip Pullman Discussion