The Republic of Heaven

Sally Lockhart

Discuss other books by the author, and Pullman related news here

Postby Jamie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:58 pm

Bumpness

What order are the Sally Lockhart books in?

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Ruby in the Smoke.
Shadow in the North
Tiger in the Well
The Tin Princess
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Crimen-Scene » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:47 pm

I'm glad someone answered that. I'm just completed my collection of them and wasn't quite sure what order they were meant to be in as I'd read them all in the wrong order.
- [C.S]
Crimen-Scene
Grazer

Postby Savvy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:37 pm

Ian wrote:Ruby in the Smoke.
Shadow in the North
Tiger in the Well
The Tin Princess

Wait, the Sally Lockhart trilogy is just the first three in the list. I know Lockhart is mentioned a little bit in The Tin Princess, but the story isn't really about her.

I really love the SL trilogy. How Sally is forced to escape evil countless times, the wonderful plots, etc. BUT the books are definitely not for kids younger than... I'd say, 13 years old, because there is A LOT of mention of opium, and also very close-to-death situations involving a certain huge person....
Savvy
Grazer

Postby Enitharmon » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:17 pm

Savvy wrote:I really love the SL trilogy. How Sally is forced to escape evil countless times, the wonderful plots, etc. BUT the books are definitely not for kids younger than... I'd say, 13 years old, because there is A LOT of mention of opium, and also very close-to-death situations involving a certain huge person....

I think I'd beg to differ there - to my mind the Sally Lockhart books read much younger than, say, The Amber Spyglass or even Northern Lights. Besides, in these books PP is writing a pastiche of Victorian melodrama, and where would any self-respecting Victorian melodrama be without opium and imminent death? Dickens is full of both, so is Sherlock Holmes, and both should be well within the grasp of 13-year-olds.

Besides, PP is a very political writer who likes to push the envelope of what he can get away with. Part of The Shadow in the North is set not a couple of hundred metres from where I sit; any numpty with an inkling of what this area is all about will have no hesitation in identifyiung TSITN as a swipe at nuclear proliferation.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Re: Sally Lockhart

Postby reflective » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:52 pm

one of my favourite series :wink:
the sally locheart series are for say 10 - adult but only for a small group of people intrested in that sort of thing not like hdm which loads of people like, the locheart series may be hard to get into but they are awesome and i would recomend them to anyone
i read the first two books in the wrong order but my first book (the shadow in the north) is definaly my favourite
can anyone tell me why the tin princess was many peoples least enjoyable book?
we all have to die one day
a depressing thought isn't it
reflective
Zalif

Re: Sally Lockhart

Postby snowberry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 pm

hm.. im rereading the series (near the end of The Tiger In The Well atm) after two years.
and im thirteen and a half, and I'm fine with the series...
then again I do read alot of this kind of thing, and some people wouldn't like it.
Anyways I love it.. I love how everything happened with Fred and Sally...
I love Goldberg too, especially the second time reading it. The first time I wasn't sure.
But in some ways Sally and Goldberg seem more like.. like a crush, and even though their attraction is powerful it doesnt feel as perfect and love-like as Fred, although it's more real.
(this is from my memory of the time I read it before...)
snowberry
Grazer

Return to “%s” Philip Pullman Discussion