Valve Suffer London Inspired Riots :(

Discuss Video games and other technology

Valve Suffer London Inspired Riots :(

Postby Darragh » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:32 am

Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Re: Valve Suffer London Inspired Riots :(

Postby AlexSP » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:42 am

Is there a H-L3 happening? If not ... not much left to live for.

EXCEPT SUAREZ
There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all
AlexSP
Invincible Starlight

AOL: ARosecatcher

Postby Peter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:56 am

Source Engine's getting old and creaky. Eventually it'll collapse under the weight of its patches and upgrades.

You could, I suppose, port the HLx maps to a more modern platform, but on the other hand the look of Source is arguably the look of HL. Perhaps Valve are agonising about this right now.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Max » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:20 am

perhaps it's taking so long because they're working on Source 2. Or 'Rivulet'. TO be followed by 'Stream', then 'Brook', then 'Tributary', then 'River', then 'Estuary', then 'Sea', then, in 2078 and full 4D VR, 'Ocean'.

also, hope they're making the shooting better
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby AlexSP » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:54 am

the worst shooting ever is in Far Cry 2. made it completely unplayable. close behind: Bioshock games
There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all
AlexSP
Invincible Starlight

AOL: ARosecatcher

Postby Max » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:23 pm

AlexSP wrote: close behind: Bioshock games

Was so bad I played virtually the whole game just using the wrench.

Bad Company 2 may have the best shooting of any game I've played.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Darragh » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:55 am

I figure that Half-Life 3 will be their showpiece for the Source 2 engine but at the moment they are far more worried about establishing more franchises to sustain the company long term.

DOTA 2 is, I hope, their adventure into an exploding e sports scene. They are offering a million dollar prize pool tournament to launch the game which is unprecedented. Free to play Team Fortress 2 sustained by an e-shop which doesn't affect gameplay is an interesting experiment. A newly announced Counter-Strike which is rumoured to be console focused is their attempt to tap into the casual Call of Duty era of gaming.

It seems to be a very intelligent strategy that may well pay off. This is on top ofr Steam which has a stranglehold on the PC industry.

Personally I just want Half-life ~*iguana*~ 3. I love Half-life. Some people hate the gunplay but I love everything about those game. The end of Episode 2 made me sad and I need revenge.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Darragh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:00 am

UPDATE:

Would more Valve protesters get us Episode 3 news?
Posted: 19-08-11 In: HL2: Episode 3 By: Evo | (18) comments | Add your comments

You all remember those crazy fans who picketed outside of Valve HQ? Well according to PC Gamer they were eventually allowed in to play a bunch of DOTA 2.

PC Gamer then posed Gabe a few questions about Episode 3.

Newell was tight lipped when we asked him about Episode 3. “No, we don’t have anything,” he said. “If the the protesters couldn’t get it out of us…”

Then how many protesters would it take to get some Episode 3 news?

“I don’t know,” Newell replied, “but if they’d like to come out we could find out.”
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Return to “%s” Ganondorf's Tower