The Republic of Heaven

Steam - Tighten the Valve!

Discuss Video games and other technology

Steam - Tighten the Valve!

Postby Darragh » Tue May 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Since it's release in 2003 this gaming platform has become the standard for a gaming media hub in my opinion. They have attracted many publishers so far and in time, with already 15 million users on Steam, I'm certain more will follow. PopCap Games, THQ, 2K Games, Activision, Capcom, Codemasters, Eidos Interactive, Firaxis Games, id Software, Ritual Entertainment, Rockstar Games, Sega, Take-Two Interactive and Epic Games are all onboard. This is a far cry from the original service that launched so miserably with Half-life 2.

Steam Community and Steamworks have also been released somewhat recently. Steam Community brought a friend system somewhat similar to the Xbox 360 LIVE service. Instant messaging, game invites, the ability to see what games your friends are currently playing...etc. Steamworks is a development and publishing tool allowing developers to use auto-updating, game statistics, multiplayer capabilities with voice chat, access to the Steam Community and achievement thingies similar to Xbox LIVE which are becoming the bane of gaming. It certainly must be tempting for small, independent developers to try their hand at it. Dylan Fitterer has Steam and Steamworks to thank for Audiosurf's excellent sales.

So I just thought I'd make a thread to share my personal favourites from the service that you may have overlooked or to listen to some more suggestions.

Everyday Shooter - $10
A game originally released on PSN on the Playstation 3 not too long ago. It would be all too easy to overlook this game for what it's title suggests. Although the basic mechanics are the same as other similar shooters the joy in this game comes from the music which actually engages the player and sucks them into the experience. The only downside for me is that it's very hard.

Sam & Max Season 1 - $9 each, $27 for all six episodes
Point and Click game's glory years are behind them for sure but if you were a fan of the genre then you certainly get your moneys worth. The dialogue is not as witty or as funny as the original game but I was satisfied. Good voice acting, puzzles and visuals. I have yet to play Season 2.

Trackmania United Forever - $40
Simplified driving game built around community features and a track editor. Short, interesting tracks, simple controls designed for keyboards, fun in a realistic unrealistic way. I've found it to be very addictive. If you don't want to fork out the cash then you can always download the free version of the game Trackmania Nations Forever which is also available on Steam.

Audiosurf - $10
I find it hard to review this game (Spent too long on this thread already). You listen to your music I am sure. Buy this and play your music as well.

Geometry Wars - $4
This game has been available for a while now but if you've never experienced it then $4 is far too good an offer to pass up on. Like Everyday Shooter it's a basic dual analogue shooter that works fine with the keys. Very challenging, very pretty and very addictive.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Re: Steam - Tighten the Valve!

Postby Redzin » Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

I've only tried Sam & Max and Audiosurf from those on the list, and both are recommendable.

I'll add a couple of games too:

Peggle - 10$
Peggle is a small puzzle game where you need to shoot balls to remove bricks. It sounds simple, and most of the time it is, yet it's still very entertaining. :)

The Longest Journey - 10$
The Longest Journey is regarded as a classic and possibly the best adventure game ever by many people, and many gaming sites and magazines, recieving a lot of perfect scores (10, 100%, 5 stars) when it was first released. It is almost 10 years old so the graphics are obviously not up to date, but if you can enjoy good humor and an awesome story then you won't be disappointed.

There's also a sequel to The Longest Journey called Dreamfall. It's a nice continuation of the story, but the gameplay is lacking. It's more like an interactive movie than a game in my opinion. If you can enjoy that, then it's great. Personally, I loved it. :)
Last edited by Redzin on Thu May 22, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redzin
Grazer

Postby Darragh » Wed May 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Very good suggestions. :D Although Peggle should come with a "Addictive as Crack" warning sticker.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Darragh » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Just a heads-up that the Steam sale is on now until 2nd Jan.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Darragh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:34 pm

They did an early Steam sale this year. There are some great deals going. I think it's a different 7 games each day for the next few days.

Today is:

Madballs in Babo:Invasion €2 - 75% off
Majesty 2 €10 - 75% off
Left 4 Dead 2 €37.50 - 25% off
Mini Ninjas €20 - 75% off
Dead Space €10! - 50% off
Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic €2.24 - 75% off
Cities XL Limited Edition €25 - 50% off

If you have not played them I really reccomend Dead Space and Knights of the old Republic. An absolute steal at €12.

They also have the LucasArts Premier Pack

Armed and Dangerous®

Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™

Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade™

LOOMâ„¢

Lucidityâ„¢

Star Wars Galaxiesâ„¢: The Complete Online Adventures

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith

Star Wars Republic Commandoâ„¢

Star Wars Starfighterâ„¢

Star Wars: Dark Forces

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

The Dig®

The Secret of Monkey Islandâ„¢: Special Edition

A bargain at €45 - 60% off

and

The THQ Complete pack

Company of Heroes

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts

Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor

Frontlinesâ„¢: Fuel of Warâ„¢

Full Spectrum Warrior

Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers

Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights

Red Faction

Red Faction Guerrilla

Red Faction II

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Saints Row 2

Titan Quest

Titan Quest - Immortal Throne

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Gold Edition

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War - Soulstorm

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II

at €50. Which is a great deal for the Warhammer and Company of Hero games alone.

There is a Valve Complete Pack to but I'd imagine most of their customers would have most of the games.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Darragh » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:48 am

Here's a spreadsheet of the latest summer sale. Some pretty good offers in there. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmyzSxyuYIATdGRTaTJ5NTQ4SEtrZ1dfdFgydEZwN0E&hl=en#gid=0
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Qu Klaani » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:01 pm

I have a slightly odd need to have my bank balance be a multiple of 10, so when for some reason the account is off I simply have to adjust it by spending the right amount of money. With this in mind, I thought I'd go and see what I could get on steam for 3 quid.

Five games later I think I'm just about able to stop myself spending money...
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Darragh wrote:Here's a spreadsheet of the latest summer sale. Some pretty good offers in there. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmyzSxyuYIATdGRTaTJ5NTQ4SEtrZ1dfdFgydEZwN0E&hl=en#gid=0

Half-Life 2 Lost Coast €60????
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Darragh » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Ha, didn't notice that.

I've managed to keep my spending to a minimum with this sale. Just got Call of Duty: World at War.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Mr Anderson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Anyone else checked out Valves new free game Alien Swarm? It's absolutely awesome.

http://www.alienswarm.com/
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:23 am

Mr Anderson wrote:Anyone else checked out Valves new free game Alien Swarm? It's absolutely awesome.

http://www.alienswarm.com/

Yeah, not bad, and an interesting indicator of upcoming developments in the Source engine.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Return to “%s” Ganondorf's Tower