The Republic of Heaven

Games that have tugged at your heartstrings

Discuss Video games and other technology

Games that have tugged at your heartstrings

Postby Diolmhain » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:14 am

I cried when i finished Zelda OOT
:shifty:

Mod Edit: Topic split from I can't believe how bad these books tore my heart up.
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Re: I can't believe how bad these books tore my heart up.

Postby *Ben* » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Diolmhain wrote:I cried when i finished Zelda OOT

:lol:

FF7 when that girl dies nearly did that to me :lol:
*Ben*
Grazer

Postby TheKnifeBearer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:35 pm

*Ben* wrote:

FFX when Yuna runs through Tidus at the end and falls on the floor
Damn that was sad :shock:

Suicide Penguin!

XBox Live Gamertag: ShadowWesker44 - Add Me!!! 8)
TheKnifeBearer
Zalif

Postby *Ben* » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:32 pm

TheKnifeBearer wrote:
*Ben* wrote:

FFX when Yuna runs through Tidus at the end and falls on the floor
Damn that was sad :shock:

Yeah, shame that XII was so rubbish... Hopefully XIII will be a lot better.

Did I read correctly and are they remaking VII for PS3?
*Ben*
Grazer

Postby Sodoom » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:45 pm

Talk about derailing a topic lmao! I'll add my gaming two cents. Vampire: The Masquerade had a INCREDIBLY sad ending. I wish more people played the game tho.
Sodoom
Grazer

Postby Darragh » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:03 am

*Ben* wrote:Did I read correctly and are they remaking VII for PS3?

No they have said they are not. They released a tech demo when PS3 was announced of Midgar...it was awesome but they've denied a full game ever since.

12 was not that bad. Way better than the quite frankly rubbish 10 and the even rubbisher 10-2 but I find arguing Final fantasies is futile because everyone has a different opinion even though I know I'm right.

In the first 7 hours of Lost Odyssey I was affected emotionally. Ignore the bad reviews of this game. It's everything a jrpg should be...except for random battles and so far no world map (still on the first disc so that might change).

Other games that have tugged my emotional chord would be Half-life 2, 2.1, 2.2. Final Fantasy 8. Max Payne 2. Planescape Torment. Panzer Dragoon Saga. That's all I can think of really. It's only more recently that games have been able to draw me in with ease, it shows the progression of the industry. Back in the Amiga/Snes days I really couldn't care less.

On the other hand we should not be talking solely about games that have been able to make you sad. Gaming's real triumph is making you excited, happy, exhilerated etc. It's much easier for the medium to achieve this.

Racing games like F-Zero and Burnout just leave you frazzled.

Games like Counter Strike, Team Fortress or CoD4 online leave you feeling so tense. (To quote the great bard "There is nothing like the rush of hunting people down and killing them, I mean, my hearts beating, my hearts beating, my hands are shaking, my hands are shaking but I'm still shooting, I'm still getting the headshots. It's like Boom headshot. BOOM headshot! BOOM HEADSHOT!"

Games like Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Half-Life 2, BioShock are so brilliant that they just make you smile. They make you feel happy.

People focus far too much on the fact "Yeah well a game never made me cry so they have a long way to go" that's bull. It's not about that. It's about fun and being happy.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Re: Games that have tugged at your heartstrings

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:38 am

Close your eyes honey,

I love you Dad!

Spoiler:
Boom, headrape!
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby TheKnifeBearer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:24 pm

Darragh wrote:On the other hand we should not be talking solely about games that have been able to make you sad. Gaming's real triumph is making you excited, happy, exhilerated etc. It's much easier for the medium to achieve this.

Racing games like F-Zero and Burnout just leave you frazzled.

Games like Counter Strike, Team Fortress or CoD4 online leave you feeling so tense. (To quote the great bard "There is nothing like the rush of hunting people down and killing them, I mean, my hearts beating, my hearts beating, my hands are shaking, my hands are shaking but I'm still shooting, I'm still getting the headshots. It's like Boom headshot. BOOM headshot! BOOM HEADSHOT!"

Games like Spliner Cell and Metal Gears Solid are very tense when a guard comes and you tink your going to get caught but you do some crazy acrobatics that you didn't know you could do just as the guard walks past... :shock:
Also, Halo can do the same when you get cornered by two or three enemies a manage to blast your way out getting a triple kill in the mean time 8)

Suicide Penguin!

XBox Live Gamertag: ShadowWesker44 - Add Me!!! 8)
TheKnifeBearer
Zalif

Postby Diolmhain » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Splinter cell is boooooring after the first ten miiiiiinutes.

I'm gonna start thalking like thiiiiiisssss from now oooooooon.
Till i get baaaaaned
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:27 pm

FFVII at the end of disc one. I have to admit that the romance in FFX tugged at my heartstrings too. I also found Ico and Shadow of the Colossus very moving. That bit near the end with Agro... *sobs*

Darragh wrote:12 was not that bad. Way better than the quite frankly rubbish 10 and the even rubbisher 10-2 but I find arguing Final fantasies is futile because everyone has a different opinion even though I know I'm right.

Heh. I liked the gameplay in XII but I just didn't find the plot or characters as compelling as FFX. I liked the FFX characters despite some of the awful voice acting, but although FFXII's voice acting was vastly superior, the characters were so poorly developed it didn't make a difference.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Darragh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:10 pm

I'll give you X for Plot but not for Gameplay, Music, Visual Design, Acting or Skill System. XII was the first real step forward that the series made since VII and if XIII can perfect the new gameplay system and offer a true epic Final Fantasy story then XII's importance will be seen.

Now they just need to make the VI remake for the DS...
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Return to “%s” Ganondorf's Tower