The Republic of Heaven

which one?

Discuss general topics related to the series

which one?

Postby Blossom » Mon May 12, 2003 8:33 pm

i haven't been here for ages and i can't stay long (too much GCSE revision to get done). so i quick hi to everybody and just please answer my really pointless and stupid question. ta! :wink:
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Daniel » Mon May 12, 2003 9:35 pm

I'd have to say TSK. It definitely wouldn't be TAS, since TSK introduces far more mysteries than it resolves. I also wouldn't choose TGC/NL, because it's important for the reader to understand certain things about Lyra's world for TAS to make sense -- like who Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are, not to mention what dæmons are.
*sigh* Well, at least you tried.
Daniel
Tinkerer

AOL: polveroj

Postby AySz88 » Mon May 12, 2003 10:48 pm

Although you really would need all three to get a full perspective I would have to say TGC/NL just because people have read the last two books before reading the first one, and it seems to have made sense to them. Though, I'm not sure it's the same sort of sense as with reading TGC/NL first, so you can understand what's going on in TAS better and relate it back to the events and messages that are presented more fantastically (literal sense of the word) in TGC instead of simply attributing everything to an anti-religous theme. Besides, I'd hate to see Lyra's book go...

Getting rid of any of them would detract from the series a lot...
- Don't let your processing power go to waste! Volunteer Your PC and fight against cancer and more!
- My nickname looks like alphabet soup to people, so I go by "Soup".
<-- That's my dæmon! (Celierra, ce-lee-air-ra) - "wei" means "my dæmon/human and I"
Okibi on dæmons in this forum
Life is much more like a soap opera than most people think.
Tom Stoppard wrote:No problem is insoluble given a big enough plastic bag.
- On the National Theatre's plastic bags.
AySz88
Celierra, Red Fox

Yahoo Messenger: AySz88
AOL: AySz88

Postby jessia » Mon May 12, 2003 11:20 pm

i used to not like tsk as much as the others, but i'd have to say i wouldn't be able to banish just one of them if i had to at all. they're all essential. plus i've grown to like tsk more, 'cause there are a lot of really vivid scenes, just like in the other books.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby random guy » Mon May 12, 2003 11:25 pm

I would have to say TAS, although it is my favorite book, PP could have pulled a The Giver on us and made TSK end in a way that leaves you to imagine what happened at the end.
King Ogunwe wrote:why hasn't random guy conquered the universe yet?

in time my friend... in time...

a livejournal...
random guy
Spectre

Postby TheLadyofShalott » Tue May 13, 2003 12:47 am

O.O That's a scary question. :shock:
TheLadyofShalott
ShieldMaiden

AOL: LadyOfShallot48

Postby darren » Tue May 13, 2003 5:47 pm

well, i have to agree with the guy of the random persuasion. although i love the amber spygalss sooooo much, i think if we had to lose one, it has to be that. we can make our own ending.

-- darren
darren
alcoholic frog *hic*

Postby Will » Tue May 13, 2003 7:44 pm

I'm not sure I'm following the logic here, you'd like to banish your favourite book?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby darren » Tue May 13, 2003 7:55 pm

Blighty wrote:I'm not sure I'm following the logic here, you'd like to banish your favourite book?

i didn't say it was my favourite book. :P
darren
alcoholic frog *hic*

Postby Will » Tue May 13, 2003 8:18 pm

Sorry, to clarify:

random guy wrote:I would have to say TAS, although it is my favorite book, PP could have pulled a The Giver on us and made TSK end in a way that leaves you to imagine what happened at the end.

So....which one is your favourite book then?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby darren » Wed May 14, 2003 6:21 pm

Blighty wrote:Sorry, to clarify:

random guy wrote:I would have to say TAS, although it is my favorite book, PP could have pulled a The Giver on us and made TSK end in a way that leaves you to imagine what happened at the end.

So....which one is your favourite book then?

heehee, sorry! urm, probably the subtle knife. because it continues the story, whilst upping the stakes and keeping the pace and excitement. and because, after the brilliance of northern lights, it could have been poo, but managed to impress me more than i thought possible. and because it has the most beautiful scene where will, thinking lyra is asleep, tells pan that lyra is the best friend he's ever had, and pan replies that lyra feels the same... and lyra smiles... and that almost made me cry in itself coz it's just so sweet! oh, and because its got moxie the cat in it. who plays the most important part of all the books.

so there. that's my favourite book. but only just. :D

-- darren
darren
alcoholic frog *hic*

Postby Will » Wed May 14, 2003 6:35 pm

Lyra is Will's best friend ever, but that's hardly saying a lot, is it? You could count the number of friend's he's got on the fingers of his left hand, and still have some left over.
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby darren » Wed May 14, 2003 6:47 pm

well, i thought it was very effective and emotional. will thinks lyra is asleep. he doesn't tell lyra of his feelings of friendship openly until the end of the amber spyglass. therefore i got the impression that he felt insecure in admitting his like of lyra to her face. which is kinda cute, and something i can relate to. and then the fact that lyra obviously hears, but says nothing, not wanting to embarress him, only serves to strengthen the scene.

-- darren
darren
alcoholic frog *hic*

Postby eloquent » Wed May 14, 2003 9:07 pm

Yeah I really liked that scene as well. It was one of the first and largest of many hints as to what would eventually happen between them.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Justine » Thu May 15, 2003 1:05 am

I would die first!
*hug* i love you!
Justine
Angel

AOL: bluiswitedragon6

Postby Shivy » Thu May 15, 2003 3:09 pm

ltm..

I would have to say NL/TGC..
Basically because not much in that actually moves the plot forward.. A lot of it is needed to understand about daemons and everything.. but that could be added in somewhere.
How could anyone possibly get rid of TSK? There's a lot of character development in that, and the entire thing would just be messed up without it.
Well, thats what i think anyway.
There are no flowers in the real world.

My friends, You bow to no man.
Shivy
The Authority

Yahoo Messenger: shoanib
AOL: shoanib

Postby Gabe » Thu May 15, 2003 4:52 pm

Yeah, I would have to say NL...I read TSK and TAS before it anyway, and I didn't have many problems figuring it out. Besides the fact that I didn't understand some of the weird stuff with daemons, and stuff, at first was one of the reasons I kept reading TSK!
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Pyr » Thu May 15, 2003 6:33 pm

NL is my favorite book
but i would die first
Pyr
Witch

Yahoo Messenger: donthaveoneoftheseeither
AOL: doesntwork

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk