The Republic of Heaven

why is her world so messed up?

Discuss general topics related to the series

why is her world so messed up?

Postby modernmike0005 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:27 pm

This Idea has been nagging at me for the past month. I've finally gathered up the guts to post it.

Lyra's world is full of modernized things. Though it has almost no infrastructure to support them. Cars exist but they aren't mass produced. Lyra's world is also going through the same historical period as the 1400's. With the Mongols And the Oppressive Churches, and inquisitions. Its as if somehow technology from the 1950's somehow just slapped itself onto a 1300 century world that has daemons. what if the barriers between the world also cut through the space time continuum. What if someone brought all this super technology from another world.

what do you guy's think?
modernmike0005
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: modernmike005

Postby Leif » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:50 pm

I think the presence of daemons is responsible for that, it'd change everything.
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby Tomsy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:54 pm

You shouldn't look at Lyra's world as our world, but merely from a different time period. Things happen at different times, because different things are influencong them, due to the different things before them.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Max » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:26 am

abc wrote:You shouldn't look at Lyra's world as our world, but merely from a different time period. Things happen at different times, because different things are influencong them, due to the different things before them.

No, no no! Rosie's theory is incontrovertibly sound. Simplied massively, the religious conditions described in Lyra's Brytain are very similar to those in our Poland.

The technological and cultural states of our Poland are very similar to those described in Lyra's Brytain.

PP modelled the latter on the former because the extreme hegemony of the Vatican in Poland was what Pullman was projecting on to the entire world.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby icytoast » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:34 am

abc wrote:You shouldn't look at Lyra's world as our world, but merely from a different time period. Things happen at different times, because different things are influencong them, due to the different things before them.

Chaos Theory explains this tidbit rather well. Sensitive dependance on initial conditions. Charles Martel is routed at Tours, Islam flourishes in Europe, no Dark Ages, technology arrives 300 years earlier. Luther's rebellion against the church, except its for christianity. Anything can change the future. Well, almost.
Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends.
icytoast
Angel

AOL: MrIcyToast

Re: why is her world so messed up?

Postby jessia » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:50 am

modernmike0005 wrote:Its as if somehow technology from the 1950's somehow just slapped itself onto a 1300 century world that has dæmons.

i imagined the automobiles of lyra's world to be more like the automobiles of 1900s rather than those of the 1950s.

daemons would also affect the infrastructure a lot too.

but yea, what icytoast and max have said. 'lots of small chances coming together' that could have shut up the effects of the dark ages, etcetera would have allowed such developments to eventually occur earlier.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby la bohemia » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:32 am

i think that you can't really judge lyra's world's timeframe based on our world. the worlds are really very similar, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that they are different worlds. *nods*
love is a dangerous angel
la bohemia
teller of stories

Website: http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=kiki703&mode=full

Postby Max » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:22 am

la bohemia wrote:i think that you can't really judge lyra's world's timeframe based on our world. the worlds are really very similar, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that they are different worlds. *nods*

Well... No they aren't. As they appear in the book they're both the products of Philip Pullman's mind, which exists exclusively in this world, and so will naturally have been inclined to base Lyra's world on elements of ours.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Jameson » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:41 pm

Max wrote:
la bohemia wrote:i think that you can't really judge lyra's world's timeframe based on our world. the worlds are really very similar, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that they are different worlds. *nods*

Well... No they aren't. As they appear in the book they're both the products of Philip Pullman's mind, which exists exclusively in this world, and so will naturally have been inclined to base Lyra's world on elements of ours.

Its based on our world, it has to be, since PP had no other world to base it on, but it is meant to be a different world.
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:28 pm

The main problem with Lyra's world is that it is not sufficiently different from ours.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Townie » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:37 pm

[quote="Jameson]Its based on our world, it has to be, since PP had no other world to base it on, but it is meant to be a different world.[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. It's funny I always assumed Will's world was our world - but I remember seeing a thread where this was disputed.

Ceres - why is this a problem? :?
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Townie wrote:[quote="Jameson]Its based on our world, it has to be, since PP had no other world to base it on, but it is meant to be a different world.

That's what I was thinking. It's funny I always assumed Will's world was our world - but I remember seeing a thread where this was disputed.

Ceres - why is this a problem? :?[/quote]

Briefly, because I think that the existence of daemons would cause much greater differences than we see in HDM. There's certainly no reason why a world with daemons should necessarily have a dominant Church.

Will's world isn't our world - we don't call mobiles "cellphones" in Britain. :)
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Tomsy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:55 pm

Ceres wrote:Will's world isn't our world - we don't call mobiles "cellphones" in Britain. :)

And the character Will Parry doesn't exist either.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Townie » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:11 pm

I see your point, Tom, but taken to its logical conclusion this would mean Eastenders or Midsomer murders isn't in our world either - but they're meant to be aren't they?

...Quick where's that window that leads to the Vic? I'm parched :lol:
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby Melancholy Man » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:38 pm

Max wrote:

PP modelled the latter on the former because the extreme hegemony of the Vatican in Poland was what Pullman was projecting on to the entire world.

<Slaps Max>

You were going so well until that bit. The appropriation of technology in "our" Poland was done by the Communist Party. Even before the Communist era, when did Rome ever have such control over Poland?

Furthermore, PP does not reserve his criticism for the excesses of the Roman Catholic hierachy. He is opposed to all forms of state endorsed religion, and the disaster it visits on true spirituality.

Townie wrote:

I see your point, Tom, but taken to its logical conclusion this would mean Eastenders or Midsomer murders isn't in our world either - but they're meant to be aren't they?

That's literary theory for you. All works of fiction exist in the world created by the author. Eastenders ain't in our world because there's no borough of Walford in London. Midsomer Murders ain't in our world because no part of rural Englandshire with such a high murder rate would have just one attendant DCI.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Dante » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:30 pm

Melancholy Man wrote:Furthermore, PP does not reserve his criticism for the excesses of the Roman Catholic hierachy. He is opposed to all forms of state endorsed religion, and the disaster it visits on true spirituality.

He said that he was against any organisation/anything that tried to supress human thought, consciousness, expression etc. In a article for the Guardian he wrote (I think that's where it's from) he said that included both fascist sections of the church or athiest communist Russia.

Midsomer Murders ain't in our world because no part of rural Englandshire with such a high murder rate would have just one attendant DCI.

Surely there wouldn't even be a population to protect and serve with a murder rate that high?
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Silent_Knight » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:08 am

Will's world isn't our world because it is (As far as we know) fictional. I think that was implied above.

Pullman would have to be documenting real events for it to be otherwise.

Lyra's world surely would have a different bible. Longer to say the names and species of the daemons that belonged to all those people who begat more people.

Is there a definitive history of Lyras world somewhere? It is impossible to state for the record without it, what cause the slowdown in the discovery of ambaric power (They are over a century behind technologically).

Especially odd of a country that prizes knowledge so highly.

Also can anybody explain the terminology of "Gyptian"?
"A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day. This day we fight!"
Silent_Knight
Grazer

Postby Melancholy Man » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:57 am

Silent Knight wrote:

Lyra's world surely would have a different bible.

I don't have my copy of NL, but Lord Asriel did indeed quote Lyra a piece from their Genesis in which Adam & Eve's daemons feature. Pete (a.k.a. Ceres) has written an excellent piece about the crucifixion of Christ, and the nailing of His dove-daemon to some lolly-sticks.

Also can anybody explain the terminology of "Gyptian"?

The Gyptians seem to be a mish-mash of various traveller traditions in southern England. Etymologically, they're the gypsies (ethnic Romany) who were erroneously believed to have hailed from Egypt when they began to appear in Europe five/six hundred years ago.

Ceres wrote:

There's certainly no reason why a world with dæmons should necessarily have a dominant Church.

I've banged on before about the dominance of the Geneva-based Magesterium resulting from an undefined event during the Reformation which resulted in the snubbing out of the Rome-based Vatican, and victory of the John Calvin and the Elect. There's a nicely ironic touch in which priests with Iberian or Italic names are the servants, not masters of the Church. The Calvinist feel is hammered home with the manky-Scots gits in charge of the Magesterium.

Another effects would have been to strangle European expansion which was in a nascent form then, and save much of the rest of the world from our baneful influences. Other cultures and civilizations appear to exist on an equal footing in the L-Shaped Room. Consider King Ogunwe's West African kingdom. Six hundred years ago, the Yoruba or Benin or Asante peoples would have been just as advanced as North European societies of another six or so centuries before.

That said, there are also inconsistencies in this narative. How, for example, does Will meet a Magesterium Russian priest in TAS? The Eastern Church split from Rome centuries before Calvin.

How did the Scandinavians colonize North America? The settlements of Vinland and Erika stagnated long before the 16th century. Maybe the Tartars remained strong, and continued to harass those parts of Europe which encroached on Swedish and Norse influences at home.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk