The Republic of Heaven

Two daemon Related Questions!

Discuss general topics related to the series

Two daemon Related Questions!

Postby His Dutch Materials » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:09 pm

Since I'm new to this forum, it's possible that these questions have already been asked, but I'd just like to know an answer!

Ok, my first question is about the form of daemons. If I remember correctly one of the workers of Mrs. Coulter has a moth-formed daemon. Also, at the beginning of Northern Lights, when Lyra is staying with Mrs. Coulter there's a woman with a butterfly-formed daemon.
I found this sort of weird, because it seems very dangerous to have a very small insect-like daemon. I mean, someone could easily sit on it, which would kill the daemon and yourself! Maybe there's some sort of protection for this? Does anyone know?

My second question is about the names of daemons. Who gives a daemon his of her name? Is it the parents of the born baby? Or maybe the parents' daemons? It's all very vague to me! :D
"I've gotten everything I wanted, but I wanted all the wrong things."
His Dutch Materials
Grazer

Re: Two Dæmon Related Questions!

Postby Peter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:21 pm

His Dutch Materials wrote:Since I'm new to this forum, it's possible that these questions have already been asked, but I'd just like to know an answer!

Ok, my first question is about the form of dæmons. If I remember correctly one of the workers of Mrs. Coulter has a moth-formed dæmon. Also, at the beginning of Northern Lights, when Lyra is staying with Mrs. Coulter there's a woman with a butterfly-formed dæmon.
I found this sort of weird, because it seems very dangerous to have a very small insect-like dæmon. I mean, someone could easily sit on it, which would kill the dæmon and yourself! Maybe there's some sort of protection for this? Does anyone know?

Firstly, bear in mind that PP didn't work out the life-cycle of Daemonis Vulgaris when he first started to write HDM. He was - in his words - still discovering more things about them at the end of TAS.

In other words, he left lots of room for speculation. This is a Good Thing, but it means that there are not necessarily any definitive answers to your questions.

Adele Starminster's daemon (I named him Lysander) may seem vulnerable, but although he's small he's also very mobile. He can get out of trouble quickly. Bear in mind that the physics of small things makes them less vulnerable to harm from, e.g., falling.

To speculate further, you might imagine that the daemon-touching taboo in Lyra's world might extend to a sort of sixth sense that tells you when you're (too) close to another person's daemon. People who were deficient in that sense would be regarded as socially maladroit.

My second question is about the names of dæmons. Who gives a daemon his of her name? Is it the parents of the born baby? Or maybe the parents' dæmons? It's all very vague to me! :D

Yes, it is. I would suggest that they may be no single simple answer to this question.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby His Dutch Materials » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:25 pm

Wow, thanks for your reply!

And I guess your right about the daemon-name issue! I guess there never will be a good answer for that question. Hmm, maybe it will be in the Book of Dust, who knows!? :D
"I've gotten everything I wanted, but I wanted all the wrong things."
His Dutch Materials
Grazer

Postby modernmike0005 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:53 pm

I think its the parents daemons that decide on the name of the baby daemon. That would seem the most logical guess, but I don't know for sure. :wink:
" The experience is most valuable in this universe"
modernmike0005
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: modernmike005

Postby Peter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:56 pm

modernmike0005 wrote:I think its the parents daemons that decide on the name of the baby daemon. That would seem the most logical guess, but I don't know for sure. :wink:

No, because nobody does. Using your proposition, explain "Kirjava". Or "Sayan Kotor". Or how the daemons of orphaned children are named. :D

"daemon", not "daemon", BTW.
Peter

Postby Wharfedale » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:21 pm

I don't think there is any single answer to tesecond question. There could be many ways a daemon is named after all SP named Wills daemon.
High on a throne of royal state, which far
Outshone the wealth of Ormus and of Ind
Or where the gorgeous East with the richest hand
Showers on her kins barbaric pearl and gold,
Satan exalted sat, by merit raised
To that bad eminece
Wharfedale
Zalif

Re: Two Dæmon Related Questions!

Postby misterminiver » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:22 pm

His Dutch Materials wrote:Also, at the beginning of Northern Lights, when Lyra is staying with Mrs. Coulter there's a woman with a butterfly-formed dæmon.
I found this sort of weird, because it seems very dangerous to have a very small insect-like dæmon.

I just imagined a giant butterfly. 3-foot wingspan kinda size. Maybe I'm weird.
Clem Miniver, don't you dare smile.
misterminiver
Gyptian

Postby Jamie » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:22 pm

I always assumed that daemon names are just known. Like their not named but the person just comes in to the world and knows the name of their daemon. Either that or the human names them.

Ceres Wunderkind wrote:explain "Kirjava". Or "Sayan Kotor

I don't think it's really fair to use those as examples though because John and Will Parry weren't born in Lyra's world.

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Peter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:56 pm

Jamie wrote:I always assumed that dæmon names are just known. Like their not named but the person just comes in to the world and knows the name of their dæmon. Either that or the human names them.

Ceres Wunderkind wrote:explain "Kirjava". Or "Sayan Kotor

I don't think it's really fair to use those as examples though because John and Will Parry weren't born in Lyra's world.

So they weren't, but they got their names from somewhere. And the question of orphan daemons remains open.

As I said up there, I think it's a Good Thing that the the world of HDM is not as hermetically sealed as, say, Middle Earth. It leaves such scope for imaginative speculation. It also tends to defeat those who try to lay down rules determining how it works. :lol:

Now shall we have the same-sex daemon discussion?

No
Peter

Postby Watcher » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:13 am

If you remember Serafina named Wills daemon. I guess that John Parry named his own daemon.
Watcher
Grazer

Postby Wharfedale » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:41 pm

Watcher wrote:If you remember Serafina named Wills Dæmon. I guess that John Parry named his own dæmon.

Or another Shaman did.
High on a throne of royal state, which far
Outshone the wealth of Ormus and of Ind
Or where the gorgeous East with the richest hand
Showers on her kins barbaric pearl and gold,
Satan exalted sat, by merit raised
To that bad eminece
Wharfedale
Zalif

Postby Melancholy Man » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:58 pm

Ceres Wunderkind wrote:Now shall we have the same-sex dæmon discussion?

No

Czigany is definitely female.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Dove » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:33 am

Watcher wrote:If you remember Serafina named Wills Dæmon. I guess that John Parry named his own dæmon.

I don't think there is one particular way dæmons are named. Everyone has different circumstances that require different responses. I agree with Ceres Wunderkind in that it's best not all the answers are given right there in the text. After all, shouldn't a good book make you think?
Dove
Grazer

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk