The Republic of Heaven

Harry Potter (cont.)

Talk about other books here

Postby Stargirl » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:44 pm

Me and my friend went to the midnight thing, I think it was for the 5th book? Yeah, and there were these two girls, maybe 4 or 5 years younger than us, and they'd already bought a book, and one girl flipped to the back and said "Ok, now I'm going to read the last page aloud!" and me and my friend were like, WHAT!? And then we left, and she did ctually read the it aloud. :shock: And they think they know so much more than us! Just becuase we're older! Well news flash, we read them first! And probably more times. But then there are those kids who have no life and read them over again every week.....

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Jaya » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:00 pm

Ian wrote:
Stargirl wrote: It kind of bugs me with the next generation of Harry Potter lovers coming along, they can be so annoying.

I so know that feeling.

Ditto all of the above. I read Harry Potter when I was in Year 5, so I must have been 9? 10? I think it was just after the second HP book came out and I was all 'This book is so good!' and just got weird looks.

And then it got famous and I was happy about that. Then it got too famous, became a fashion statement, there were movies, toys, merchandise. I fumed. If only it had stayed just slightly less famous, some other books deserve fame too. Although I'd be rather annoyed if they got as famous as Harry Potter because then people have assumptions and won't ever read the books... or they're in love with the movies and the merchandise instead of the actual story.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Symon » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:28 pm

angelofboox wrote:
Ian wrote:
Stargirl wrote: It kind of bugs me with the next generation of Harry Potter lovers coming along, they can be so annoying.

I so know that feeling.

Ditto all of the above. I read Harry Potter when I was in Year 5, so I must have been 9? 10? I think it was just after the second HP book came out and I was all 'This book is so good!' and just got weird looks.

And then it got famous and I was happy about that. Then it got too famous, became a fashion statement, there were movies, toys, merchandise. I fumed. If only it had stayed just slightly less famous, some other books deserve fame too. Although I'd be rather annoyed if they got as famous as Harry Potter because then people have assumptions and won't ever read the books... or they're in love with the movies and the merchandise instead of the actual story.

Well, the same happened to me; I read the first book when I was 8 and nobody knew about them. All of a sudden they're the most popular books in the world [literally].
I don't like how it's kind of become a competition to be the first or biggest fan, but I think everybody who loves them gets a sense of ownership or...give me a better word!
rcknfcknrll
Symon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Kinders » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:43 pm

"Flibbertigibbet".

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Symon » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:33 am

Thanks.
rcknfcknrll
Symon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Jez » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:29 pm

angelofboox wrote:
Ian wrote:

I so know that feeling.

And then it got famous and I was happy about that. Then it got too famous, became a fashion statement, there were movies, toys, merchandise.

I know, that annoys me too. I read the first book just after the third one had been published, so it was already a bit famous, but the mania hadn't really started, and I just thought it was another children's bestseller. Now it just seems over the top.

What gets me is that they're not that good. Yes, I do love the Harry Potter books, but then I love a lot of other books as well, which I think are just as good. Naturally, HDM pwns all. :P So why is it that Harry Potter has been such a phenomenal success, such a success that not even HDM can come anywhere near it?
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby DutchCrunch » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Jez wrote:
angelofboox wrote:
Ian wrote:

I so know that feeling.

And then it got famous and I was happy about that. Then it got too famous, became a fashion statement, there were movies, toys, merchandise.

I know, that annoys me too.

Just wait till the HDM movie comes out. The books will no longer be ours. We, being the real fans, will be overshadowed by the girls screaming for 'Will' at the premier and the boys locked in their smelly little rooms dreaming about 'Lyra'. We will be shoved aside. Forgotten. When we tell people about how cool the story is, they will look and laugh and point to the movie posters.

We have about 2 years left in our little shelter.
Maybe I should've posted this in the depressed thread.
DutchCrunch
Witch

Postby Jez » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:55 pm

DutchCrunch wrote:Just wait till the HDM movie comes out. The books will no longer be ours. We, being the real fans, will be overshadowed by the girls screaming for 'Will' at the premier and the boys locked in their smelly little rooms dreaming about 'Lyra'. We will be shoved aside. Forgotten. When we tell people about how cool the story is, they will look and laugh and point to the movie posters.

We have about 2 years left in our little shelter.
Maybe I should've posted this in the depressed thread.

Heh, maybe you'd like to take a look at the Society for the Protection of His Dark Materials - I'm sure this was being discussed in there. Undoubtedly, we will get a deluge of fans raving 'OMG!!!! Will is teh sex1!!!' or something (can't do netspeak)... if the film is a success.

But I doubt it will come anywhere near Harry Potter's popularity. I'm kind of torn thinking that HDM does deserve more popularity since it is superior, but then hoping it doesn't because too many annoying fans would grate on my nerves.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Symon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:26 am

Jez wrote:But I doubt it will come anywhere near Harry Potter's popularity. I'm kind of torn thinking that HDM does deserve more popularity since it is superior, but then hoping it doesn't because too many annoying fans would grate on my nerves.

Yes, as am I. Actually, I only recommend the books to people whom I deem "worthy" and will understand the true and full amazingness of HDM.
rcknfcknrll
Symon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Enitharmon » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:31 pm

angel to follow wrote:(death to J.K Rowling!!!!)
and I mean that in the most christian way.

But burning at the stake would be too cruel even for the progenitor of Hairy Pooter, surely?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Angel to follow » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:40 pm

You said it!!!

I love the films don't get me wrong and I have a strange affliction for Daniel Radcliffe but please don't consider that scrawl a book.Please because it get me angry.

Shakespeare is turning in his grave.
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Melancholy Man » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:46 pm

Shakespeare or Shakespere? I'm almost afraid to admit that I often see JK in the street.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:41 pm

It's Shakespeare....I haven't much problem with Rowling. Seen the movies, haven't read the books. :P
I feel refreshed now that my eyes aren't exploding out of their sockets!
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Postby Somewhat » Thu May 04, 2006 11:44 am

I just read the books because a doting and rich friend thinks they're just the thing to fire my imagination (although the year before she got me a lamp with little spinning dolphins...) And I go to see the movies because I want to find out how bad they are. I think the books are quite clumsy, like piling all of Voldemort's family history in a single book, but that's just my opinion.

angel to follow wrote:(Like the nurse who gives Lyra the doll)Was she evil or just believed in what she had been told?

Which nurse was this?
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby furbaby » Thu May 04, 2006 12:15 pm

I enjoyed the early ones. I like all the little fun bits, like Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, and the spells, and the characters in the pictures and so on.

But the later ones ramble so much ... what is her editor thinking of? I get the impression of someone just writing without a clear idea of where the story's going.

Oh dear, just noticed this has j.s. to do with the original topic. :oops: Oh well.
furbaby
Angel

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Thu May 04, 2006 2:18 pm

furbaby wrote:Oh dear, just noticed this has j.s. to do with the original topic. :oops: Oh well.

I've noticed many threads falling ill to such fates.

By the way what's up with the quotes?
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Postby The Wally Llama » Thu May 04, 2006 3:06 pm

[quote="furbaby"]I enjoyed the early ones. I like all the little fun bits, like Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, and the spells, and the characters in the pictures and so on.
[quote]

I know what you mean, at first, Harry Potter was a bit of a novelty, but now its kinda tedious
Democracy is the blugeoning of the people, by the people, for the people.
-Oscar Wilde
The Wally Llama
Grazer

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Thu May 04, 2006 5:37 pm

JKR is trying to morph her books from entertaining fad of the decade to epic book series.
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Postby Undestined » Fri May 05, 2006 12:57 am

Speaking of lobotomies, I was dissappointed in book 6. When I read the jacket, I thought I'd get an in-depth look at Tom Riddle's descent into evil. Instead I just got Rowling saying that he was evil all along! Nobody's BORN evil, I want to know what happened to Riddle that made him Voldemort.

Having said that, I'd be totally cool with it if an authority figure locked this thread.

edit: I am not reffering to this thread. For future reference, this post was moved from the "Lobotomize me, Captain" thread, and I was referring to that one.
Last edited by Undestined on Fri May 05, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(The Sraffie Formerly Known as Zodiac)
Undestined
Armoured Bear

Postby furbaby » Fri May 05, 2006 1:18 am

Or better still, split it.

Oooh, it's been done! Good move.
furbaby
Angel

Return to “%s” Other Books