The Republic of Heaven

Would it be posible (in theory) to create the subtle knife?

Discuss other ideas related to His Dark Materials here (e.g. multiverse theory. philosophical questions, theology...etc.)

Would it be posible (in theory) to create the subtle knife?

Postby muddmania » Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:46 pm

I was wondering if any one out there beleveivs it posible to create a device that could cut in to a paralel universe?
Ive done a bit of reaserch in to it but its all a bit complex for me, the string theory and stuff :? but if anyone knows a bit more on the stuff i've metioned please say.
muddmania
Grazer

Location: Flintshire, UK The land of the 900 handbag cars with loud exhausts and aloys

Postby jessia » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:31 pm

you'd first have to prove the existance of parallel worlds.

more practically, could you create a knife that could cut through anything?
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Kahlan » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:50 pm

if you have magic, anything is possible.. :P :lol: :lol:
Well after all, we'll lie another day
And through it all, we'll find some other way
Kahlan
Witch

Postby muddmania » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:29 pm

Well there are some quite strong theories about the existance of paralel universes, if onley it could be proven. A well, we need more Einstines!! Or magic, as Kahlan said :roll:
muddmania
Grazer

Location: Flintshire, UK The land of the 900 handbag cars with loud exhausts and aloys

Postby Naomi Silvertongue » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:22 pm

It comes down to whether you strongly believe in things like that. I myself believe in spiritual beings, so the thoughts of parallel worlds do cross my mind.

We would have to find a way to prove it, though. I would not know how to do that. And it depends on the type of magicks.

Muddmania's right we need more Einsteins in the world. Now if someone would just lend us their own personal time machine we could just go back and borrow him for a while. :lol:
Colonel William Tavington: You know, it's dirty business doing one's duty... but just occasionally it's a real pleasure.

Benjamin Martin: He cannot be held as a spy.
Colonel William Tavington: Oh, we're not going to hold him. We're going to hang him.

Colonel William Tavington: Thank you very much. Shut the doors!
Hardwick: But you said... we'd be forgiven!
Colonel William Tavington: And indeed you may! But that's between you and God.

Colonel William Tavington: Pretty impressive for farmers with pitchforks.
Naomi Silvertongue
Almighty Short One

AOL: OneTreeFunkeHill

Re: Would it be posible (in theory) to create the subtle kni

Postby Tomsy » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:18 pm

muddmania wrote:I was wondering if any one out there beleveivs it posible to create a device that could cut in to a paralel universe?

Yes, it's called the Holly Hop Drive. :mrgreen:
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby darkemagick » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:20 am

Even if there are parallel universes, ss it possible to create a knife that's less than one atom thick at the tip? :?:
darkemagick
Gallivespian Spy

Postby eloquent » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:47 am

And not just any atom. For it to cut anything, it would have to be.... an isotope of hydrogen. Which would just be a nucleus with no shell.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Max » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:56 am

darkemagick wrote:Even if there are parallel universes, ss it possible to create a knife that's less than one atom thick at the tip? :?:

Scanning Tunnelling Microscopes, which use beams of electrons, are (obviously) less thick than atoms at the tip, and can interact with individual atoms in various ways. *Geek Smiley*

eloquent wrote:And not just any atom. For it to cut anything, it would have to be.... an isotope of hydrogen. Which would just be a nucleus with no shell.

You mean.. A proton? Unless you mean H-3. Isotopes are versions of an element with more or less neutrons; perhaps you mean ionised hydrogen?

You can certainly split protons, or neutrons, in particle accelerators, but that just releases quarks, without opening any windows to parallel universes..

The only way of travelling to a parallel universe I've heard theorised about (outside of fiction) is travelling into a black hole, assuming that those singularities create parallel universes as some theroies state. Good luck to anyone who wants to dive into a black hole!
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby eloquent » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:11 am

Max wrote:
eloquent wrote:And not just any atom. For it to cut anything, it would have to be.... an isotope of hydrogen. Which would just be a nucleus with no shell.

You mean.. A proton?

Yes, in effect.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby muddmania » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:10 am

The only way of travelling to a parallel universe I've heard theorised about (outside of fiction) is travelling into a black hole, assuming that those singularities create parallel universes as some theroies state. Good luck to anyone who wants to dive into a black hole! said Max, my quotes wont work!

I heard it theorised that black holes just slow down time for any thing that enters them, so if you were to go in to one, you would think no diferent but in less than a fraction of a second to you our sun would do the blowy up thing.(i think :? )
muddmania
Grazer

Postby Max » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:42 pm

muddmania wrote:I heard it theorised that black holes just slow down time for any thing that enters them, so if you were to go in to one, you would think no diferent but in less than a fraction of a second to you our sun would do the blowy up thing.(i think :? )

That's a fully accepted theory: time would slow to a stop from the perspective of any outside observer, but would carry on as normal for you. You would be torn apart by the difference between the gravitational pull on your head and your legs, but if you could counteract that* in some way, you would converge with the singularity intact. All events that would occur in the universe until the extinction of that black hole would occur for you in the instant you crossed the event horizon, unless I'm confusing my terminology.

Sun's blowy-up thing = supernova.

*I've read that if you could encase yourself in a giant asteroid (or whatever; a massive object), this would be possible.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby muddmania » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:21 pm

man you make me feel stupid, GCSE's clearly don't teach enough for this kind of thing!!
Last edited by muddmania on Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muddmania
Grazer

Postby eloquent » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:49 pm

It's just the fact that light (and all EM waves) are slowed down by the gravitational well of the black hole, so events appear to slow down to an outside observer. But that doesn't mean that time is slowing down. It's just that the only means we have of tracking the progress of time in other locations is being distorted.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Blossom » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:11 pm

You see this is what i don't get. how can time slow down in places? time is time, it's always going on. even if you went 'back' you'd still be going forwards. and why do people think that to go forward in time you'd have to go faster than light? what has light got to do with time? it's all awfully silly. i don't see why there need to be 10 dimentions for string to work. if anyone can explain that to me then please, go ahead.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby eloquent » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:29 pm

It's all to do with these rather deep questions physicists have been asking themselves for years (since Einstein's era and, more precisely, relativity) 'what is time?' 'Why, nesecarily does it have to be a universal constant?' 'Is it a dimension, of sorts, in its own right?'. It just depends on which angle you look at it from.

Sorry about being so vague... I'll return to this tomorrow with some actuall explinations of theories about FTL travel and such.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Max » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:31 pm

Time can be warped, as it is part of the space time continuum, but this only affects our passage in time relative to others - ie, you're moving as normal for you, but in a way that is different compared to somebody outside of the distortion.

It all come back to light cones. At any event, because light speed is the limit to the rate at which any causal chain can progress, a hypothetical light cone moves outwards, which is the distance encompassed by light moving out from the event over time.

Now, because light is a wave, it accords to s=fw, or wavespeed = frequency x wavelength. Because it is energy, it is determined by e=mc² and e=fh, or energy = mass x speed of light² and energy = frequency x the Plank constant. So, because light is energy, it has mass: its energy divided by c². Gravity acts on this mass, so for the light to continue it has to do work, or expend energy to resist the gravitational pull. e is reduced, so, in accordance with e=fh, its freqency is reduced (because h is a constant). So, to go back to the start , because f is reduced, s, which is in this case c, the speed of light, is also reduced (w isn't increased instead for a reason I've forgotten).

Now, the speed of light in a vacuum remains constant to any observer, so this can't happen. Another more familiar equation comes into play: s=d/t, or speed equals distance divided by time. As s is reduced, time is increased, or stretched to you and I to maintain the relative constancy of the speed of light. So all the gravity actually does to light is bend it, so the light cones bend to - and dear god this is the worst explained exposition ever written by anyone ever, isn't it?

And I'm only embroiling myself in it because I can't answer a single question on my physics homework sheet. :cry:

EDIT - I just found this in a sketch book of mine, written when I was a couple of years younger and all of this was a lot fresher in my mind:

Speed of light is reduced when moving from massive body [for reasons decribed above]. This means that the light cone appears to have moved backwards, ie, a longer time appears to have passed since the event, so time has effectively slowed. So something situated in a weaker gravitational field has had longer time relative to something situated in a stronger one, so it has experienced a longer passage of time.
Last edited by Max on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Blossom » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:40 pm

:shock: *grabs bio and chem text books and hides from scary physics*

that went way over my head. who knew time could be so complicated? i guess we'll never know the truth.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Botanic 2004 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:47 pm

Blossom wrote:You see this is what i don't get. how can time slow down in places? time is time, it's always going on. even if you went 'back' you'd still be going forwards.

Ever wondered why flies seem to have such fast reflexes?
well. its to do with the fact that their brains slow down time (in effect) so they see you hand, book (whatever your trying to hit it with) in slow motion and move out of the way. *I don't know much, ask eloquent*
Da Botmeister ist here. thank Darragh for the name Botmeister
Imageyou are currently connected to Botonia Internet Service (BIS)
Image= simeon.smith@btopenworld.com
if you ever read this go to the secret website http://www.zarb.northsurrey.org.uk

Simeon Smith = My real name belive it or not. :killingme: :drink: mmm!
Botanic 2004
BANNED

Postby darkemagick » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:42 am

I remember someone telling me that time should be viewed not as a one-way road (or something), but as a pool of water. Can't remember why exactly was it a pool of water, but it did make sense to me at that time. Something about it existing all at once and not in terms of past and present and future. And how if you disturb one area the ripples will spread to each and every part until everything is affected. Anyone care to explain?
darkemagick
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” Other Ideas