The Republic of Heaven

General Final Fantasy (&poll)

Discuss Video games and other technology

What is your favourite Final Fantasy game? (if any)

Final Fantasy VII
33%
Final Fantasy VIII
16%
Final Fantasy IX
7%
Final Fantasy X
19%
Final Fantasy X-2
No votes
Final Fantasy XI
No votes
Final Fantasy sucks more than *insert local sluts name here*
26%

Total votes : 43

Postby Darragh » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:51 am

There are no random battles. It's alot better.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby ~Lirael » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:18 am

Ahh, I suppose I should admit to be somewhat of a Final Fantasy freak.

I own I and II on the GBA (Dawn of Souls) and I've found that I has no real objective, while II is a rather short game. II still had a good story, but there was not enough depth to it for it to be classified as a favorite.

III on the D.S. I purchased most recently so there's not a lot I can say about this game. Characters certainly began to develop more around this time, though they did in II. It just felt like they were finding their feet; the feet that allowed them to make the oh-so-delightful 3D games in later years.

IV has, thus far, been a good story, full of different emotions; love, hate, sorrow, fear, all in the middle of war. I've only got the GBA version but I still find it to be enjoyable. :)

V is the only one I don't have...

VI seems promising, but I've not progressed far enough in this one either.

VII was what truly drew most of the long-time fans in, and I can see why. The story is just magnificent, and quite unique too. The world is so vast, and there are some true comical moments. Still. I do feel it's slightly over-rated.

VIII was my first Final Fantasy game and at first I didn't like it. But as soon as I finished Dollet, it became my favorite game of all time. And that still stands. The story is just beautiful. :) The characters are also, to me, some of the most thoughtful and varied in the series.

IX was magical, and I found it very easy to become involved with the story. The animation was different, and slightly more Japanese. For some reason, though, I have not played beyond the middle of Disk 2. I ended up re-starting it after a near-to one year gap.

X is another good example of a beautiful story but the leveling up just got me down; I HATE it. The sphere grid gets on my nerves. >_<The voice acting added a lot to this story, though, and I felt that all the roles were well cast.

X-2. Bad overall. Not a good story. Good music. Good FMVs. Enough said.

XI. Never played. Never plan to.

XII was extremely addictive. Okay, the story has to be one of the worst but the battle system and game-play are one of the best. I actually marveled at the fact there were no random battles. I don't really know why, but I couldn't stop playing this game...until I reached Giruvegan.
~Lirael
Grazer

Postby Darragh » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:03 pm

IV is getting a remake on the DS too which is nice. VI is amazing, just give it some time. :D
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby ~Lirael » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Yah, I heard about that! And have you heard about Final Fantasy: Dissidia? This game looks somewhat different; a battle game possibly like PowerStone. Zidane battling Sephiroth. What a strange sight. :)

And I must say I already adore the music in FFVI, especially the battle theme (The Black Mages version rocks!) and Terra's theme. I look forward to getting further into the story. :)
~Lirael
Grazer

Postby Lelouch » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:01 pm

I've played nearly all of them. I'm working on the remakes of I and II on the PSP. I can't wait to play Dissedia. XII is pretty good. VII doesn't need all the extras. and XIII looks amazing. I guess that covers everything I have to say about Final Fantasy. Wait... AC sucked in english.
Lelouch
Grazer

Postby Darragh » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:36 pm

AC kinda sucks in any language but it looks AWESOME!

:wink:
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:39 am

I loved everything about XII except for the story. It started about promising then became completely lame. The final battle was also way, way, way, way too easy.

X had a fairly good story...the voice acting was what did it for me even though it was mediocre. The sphere grid was annoying but simple enough.

X-2 was annoying in its entirety. But a big plus was the story line. I always hated linear story lines.

VII was brilliant. I sort of wish they would make VII over again with the capabilities they have now but they would flub it up somehow I know.

VIII I liked a lot but for some reason wasn't too keen on it considering i played it last of the other four. Story was good though.

Haven't played any of the others.
I feel refreshed now that my eyes aren't exploding out of their sockets!
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Re: General Final Fantasy (&poll)

Postby bethanwy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:13 am

*revives*

I've just started on FF7, and it's awesome. Love it. I can't believe I was six years old when it came out. Six!
bethanwy
COVERED IN BEES

Postby TheKnifeBearer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:09 pm

FFX is my favrouite, scenes as it the only one i've ever played...
Such a sad ending when Yuna tries to hug Tidus and goes right through him :cry:
but then he gives his dad a hand slap thingy which brightened it up a little.
Reely think that they should have left it at that instead of making FFX-2 (which I actually played as well but got bored early). I think it destroyed the ending of FFX a little.

Suicide Penguin!

XBox Live Gamertag: ShadowWesker44 - Add Me!!! 8)
TheKnifeBearer
Zalif

Postby Pausert » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:37 pm

In the poll there is no choice for Tactics Advanced. While I'm sure nearly everyone will disagree I found the battle system much more fun than the normal turn based system. I will concede that the story was "bleh" though.
Pausert
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Trystobefunny » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:50 pm

The only problem I have with Final Fantasy is the random battles. I have a mod’ed Xbox and I cant play the game for more that 10 min. (take two steps random battle, take another two steps random battle). Im not saying the game is bad but I guess its not for me. I’ve talked to many people about this topic and they mostly agree with me. anyone else feel the same?
Image + Image + Image = Image
There are many worlds beyond our own. Make a difference in yours.
Trystobefunny
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: Trystobefunny
AOL: trystobefunny

Postby Darragh » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:15 pm

Random battles are lame. However they are no longer the norm in JRPGs. Final Fantasy 12 and Blue Dragon are examples of this. Instead you see enemies on the field, you can avoid them or try to sneak up on them from behind for a suprise attack.

However some people do not want a finite number of enemies. In alot of the RPGs that do have random battles there are always items or abilities that make random battles happen alot less often or alot more often. Lure/anti-lure.

These battles are basically to flesh out the game, fans of the games enjoy leveling up, it's addictive. The challenges come in the boss battles where you have to figure out tactics and the reward for progressing in any decent JRPG is a great story with awesome cutscenes.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Darragh » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:01 pm

Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Max » Thu May 15, 2008 12:03 am

Just got round to finishing FFXII; I'd left it aside right before the finale for weeks without realising I was at the end.

I hate to say it, by the only thing I'm left thinking is "That's an obscene number of generally joyless hours I'm never getting back".
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Darragh » Thu May 15, 2008 12:45 am

Had a feeling you might think that. In retrospect it was certainly lacking Final Fantasy goodness. did you like the fighting system?

On an aside...

I recently got a hacked PSP so I could import Crisis Core (Awesome music) (~*iguana*~ DIRT, I wouldn't let Squenix away with this if it wasn't for The Wrold Ends With You on the DS which really shows that they still have it) and I decided to check out the RPG PS1 scene. I downloaded FF6,7&8 but also Chrono Trigger and I have to say CT is worth the price of the handheld, if any of you still have a PS2 or PS1 I'd certainly reccommend giving it a try. The music, story and fighting system have been engaging so far. I play it on the way to and from work.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Max » Thu May 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Darragh wrote:did you like the fighting system?

It's a fighting system only in the sense that 'autopilot' is a navigation system. If JRPG combat tends to amount to pressing X at intervals, Squenix finally managed to remove even that level of interaction. I played most of the game while reading Shakespeare for this term (which also showed up the dialogue), for Christ's sake. And I wouldn't have thought it possible that summons/limits/offensive magic could get even more pointless, but they managed that too. My nostalgia for random encounters lasted all of an hour or two, though.

The license board was also officially the most broken character building thing ever.

I wouldn't let Squenix away with this if it wasn't for The Wrold Ends With You on the DS which really shows that they still have it

Damn it, I don't have time to play the games I've got, but... That good, huh?

and I decided to check out the RPG PS1 scene. I downloaded FF6,7&8 but also Chrono Trigger and I have to say CT is worth the price of the handheld, if any of you still have a PS2 or PS1 I'd certainly reccommend giving it a try. The music, story and fighting system have been engaging so far. I play it on the way to and from work.

CT was SNES, wasn't it? I have the ROM on my laptop but have never got round to it.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Darragh » Thu May 15, 2008 2:04 pm

TWEWY is a good game yeah. Nice little RPG and good use of the DS' abilities.

Chrono Trigger was on the snes yeah but it got a re-release on the PS1 aswell, I don't think there is much difference.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Return to “%s” Ganondorf's Tower