The Republic of Heaven

Zelda

Discuss Video games and other technology

Re: Zelda

Postby Darragh » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:08 pm

You sold your Wii to play crappy pool in GTA4 didn't you, heathen? Begone, Zelda no longer loves you....

:shifty:
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby tyche » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:51 pm

I want to buy a wii just so i can play Zelda.
So whats the verdict: Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess?
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Darragh » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:56 pm

In terms on of todays videogame standards Twilight Princess is far superior.

In terms of how good they were on their release Ocarina of Time is one of the greatest games ever made. Twilight Princess is not.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Max » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:54 pm

tyche wrote:I want to buy a wii just so i can play Zelda.

What I did is bought a Gamecube in order to play it - you can pick one up for next to nothing. Course I happened to get the deal of my life: bought a GC off someone with a few games I wasn't interested in for £30, traded the games in against Zelda and got £35 off. Meaning that I actually ended up playing Zelda for £5 [i]less/i] than RRP even though I bought a console specifically for it.

So whats the verdict: Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess?

Ocarina of Time is an unparalleled masterpiece of game design. If you think about the geography of Hyrule - in time and space - and the way it's gradually unfolded to the player to give that amazing sense of personal discovery... The world of Twilight Princess is an arbitrary mess by comparison. But then TP has Midna, a character who raises the game's narrative above the ultimately empty plot of OoT, which serves only to facilitate that unfolding of the world that was, as I say, so brilliantly orchestrated.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Darragh » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:27 am

Max, do you contest the superior music, design (esspecailly dungeons) and gameplay mechanics of TP or do you simply give OoT the praise it deserves from the time it was released?

For the record, Windwaker if the greatest console Zelda game, in terms of music, gameplay and design. :smiley:

What I did is bought a Gamecube in order to play it - you can pick one up for next to nothing. Course I happened to get the deal of my life: bought a GC off someone with a few games I wasn't interested in for £30, traded the games in against Zelda and got £35 off. Meaning that I actually ended up playing Zelda for £5 [i]less/i] than RRP even though I bought a console specifically for it.

You didn't play Super Mario Galaxy though. A game worth the price of the console. Also if you havn't payed Resident Evil 4 then the definitive version is on said console and by definitive version I mean the best game of the last generation.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Max » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Darragh wrote:Max, do you contest the superior music, design (esspecailly dungeons) and gameplay mechanics of TP or do you simply give OoT the praise it deserves from the time it was released?

If you look at the music in isolation, TP's is better, but the eponymous Ocarina of OoT made its music a much more central and involving experience. I think the dungeons in OoT felt more epic and more coherently designed. Nothing in TP comes close to OoT's water temple. The gameplay mechanics in TP are brilliantly varied and much more sophisticated than TP, but some -only some - of that ends up feeling superfluous, especially compared with OoT's elegant simplicity. This typifies the difference between the two games: OoT is elegant and unified where TP is sophisticated and sprawling. I wouldn't say OoT is better than TP, but I don't hold with the ' best for its time' argument either, because I think OoT is damn near timeless, the mid-nineties equivalent of Tetris.

For the record, Windwaker if the greatest console Zelda game, in terms of music, gameplay and design. :smiley:

Never played it. :(

You didn't play Super Mario Galaxy though. A game worth the price of the console.

No single game is worth £200 for my money. And that really is the only Wii exclusive game I could give a damn about.

Also if you havn't payed Resident Evil 4 then the definitive version is on said console and by definitive version I mean the best game of the last generation.

Never played that either, damn it. Though when I finally get hold of a GC or PS2 copy, I doubt I'll much mourn the lack of waggle.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Darragh » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:37 pm

Max wrote:If you look at the music in isolation, TP's is better, but the eponymous Ocarina of OoT made its music a much more central and involving experience. I think the dungeons in OoT felt more epic and more coherently designed. Nothing in TP comes close to OoT's water temple. The gameplay mechanics in TP are brilliantly varied and much more sophisticated than TP, but some -only some - of that ends up feeling superfluous, especially compared with OoT's elegant simplicity. This typifies the difference between the two games: OoT is elegant and unified where TP is sophisticated and sprawling. I wouldn't say OoT is better than TP, but I don't hold with the ' best for its time' argument either, because I think OoT is damn near timeless, the mid-nineties equivalent of Tetris.

Water Temple is the worst dungeon in any zelda game. I think we have different tastes when it comes to dungeons.

It would be worth the 15 quid you could probably find it for. Although I'm sure you have your hands full for the time being.

No single game is worth £200 for my money. And that really is the only Wii exclusive game I could give a damn about.

It is worth it! Well along with Wii Sports it is.

Never played that either, damn it. Though when I finally get hold of a GC or PS2 copy, I doubt I'll much mourn the lack of waggle.

It saddens me that the waggle meme has reached even you but it's not about motion control in Resi 4 Wii it's about the pointer controls which completely enhance the experience. GC/PS2 versions would be good enough though because you'd know no better.

Other GC games that need to be played Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 1, Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door and F-Zero GX.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Darragh » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:40 pm

Max wrote:If you look at the music in isolation, TP's is better, but the eponymous Ocarina of OoT made its music a much more central and involving experience. I think the dungeons in OoT felt more epic and more coherently designed. Nothing in TP comes close to OoT's water temple. The gameplay mechanics in TP are brilliantly varied and much more sophisticated than TP, but some -only some - of that ends up feeling superfluous, especially compared with OoT's elegant simplicity. This typifies the difference between the two games: OoT is elegant and unified where TP is sophisticated and sprawling. I wouldn't say OoT is better than TP, but I don't hold with the ' best for its time' argument either, because I think OoT is damn near timeless, the mid-nineties equivalent of Tetris.

Water Temple is the worst dungeon in any zelda game. I think we have different tastes when it comes to dungeons.

It would be worth the 15 quid you could probably find it for. Although I'm sure you have your hands full for the time being. There is a limited edition version that comes with ports of OoT and Majora. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Collector%27s_Edition

It is worth it! Well along with Wii Sports it is.

It saddens me that the waggle meme has reached even you but it's not about motion control in Resi 4 Wii it's about the pointer controls which completely enhance the experience. GC/PS2 versions would be good enough though because you'd know no better.

Other GC games that need to be played Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 1, Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door and F-Zero GX.[/quote]
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Diolmhain » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Darragh wrote:You sold your Wii to play crappy pool in GTA4 didn't you, heathen? Begone, Zelda no longer loves you....

:shifty:

Bu....but..... I don't actually have to play the games to be a fanatic... do I?

*bawls*

Darragh wrote:Other GC games that need to be played Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 1, Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door and F-Zero GX.

No mention of Luigi's Mansion? I'm disgusted!
Also in terms of storyline, exploration, awesome power-ups and bosses, Metroid Prime 2 outstrips Prime 1 for me.
Hmmm... I would also recommend Lord Of The Rings 3 as an extremely fun co-op extravaganza, although maybe that's just me being nostalgic...
Many an evening my dad and I would spend screaming at each other about orcs and respawns...

Also, I've been playing Majora's Mask lately, and have found it to be a bit of a disappointment. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the style of the game feels very cold and alien, when put up against the many other Zelda titles that I have loved so much...

Hmm... anything else?... Nah, think that just about covers everything on my mind right about now...
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Darragh » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Also in terms of storyline, exploration, awesome power-ups and bosses, Metroid Prime 2 outstrips Prime 1 for me.

Really late response. Prime 1 had the best atmosphere and music!

Anyway...

NEW ZELDA (DS)

I really enjoyed The Phantom Hourglass so if this is the same minus the annoying super dungeon then I'm hyped. CHOO CHOO! (They have to change the name though)
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:23 pm

That is all.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby kezmondo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:Image

That is all.

:shock:

Seeing as there are quite a few good games out for the DS at the minute, I'm considering buying one. Someone persuade me. GO.
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Darragh » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Seeing as there are quite a few good games out for the DS at the minute, I'm considering buying one. Someone persuade me. GO.

RPGs:
Dragon Quest 4 & 5
Final Fantasy 3 & 4 Remakes
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Sports:
Oh...um...hmmm....New International Track and Field?

Platformers:
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64 DS
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Sonic Rush
Kirby: Canvas Curse

Puzzle:
Professor Layton
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Peggle Dual Shot
Picross DS
Meteos
Tetris DS
Brain Age 2

Action/Adventure:
Dragon Quest Heroes
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Retro Game Challenge
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templars (Director's Cut)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations
Drawn to Life

FPS:
Metroid Prime Hunters

uh......

Arcade:
Bangai-O Spirits
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Metal Slug 7
Big Bang Mini

Strategy:
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Age of Empires: Mythologies
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
Ninjatown

Racing:
Mario Kart DS

Rythem:
Elite Beat Agents

These games good to great.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby AUST » Sun May 10, 2009 12:23 pm

The greatest Zelda, has to be TP for me. I played OOT when it first came out and it was great; especally for the time but I think that the storyline in TP as well as the controls (Playing it on the GC just dosn't replicate the Wiis ability to involve you in the fight...) means that, for me, TP is better.

Damn. I've just commited blasphamy.

TBH though, all Zeldas are fantastic, even the Wind Waker was fantastically well designed and intellegent (if a little short) while MM is a great and uderrated game; GIVE IT TIME. Almost too innivotive for its own good IMO.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Return to “%s” Ganondorf's Tower