The Republic of Heaven

Which are the books that have made you cry?

Talk about other books here

Postby Mockingbird » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:34 pm

Adding A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini to my list. :cry: Now I don't even want to go near The Kite Runner.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Laura » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:05 pm

But Kite Runner is so good! Reading the blurb on the back of Thousand Splendid Suns made me think it was pretty much the same story as KR. Besides the sadness, would you recommend it?

Read The God of Small Things. I read it right after Kite Runner, and it was devastating and wonderful. (Though it didn't make me bawl my little heart out like the end of TAS--I suppose that's the kind of read you only get once)
"I infect the entire Net" ---Hexadecimal
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Mockingbird » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Laura wrote:But Kite Runner is so good! Reading the blurb on the back of Thousand Splendid Suns made me think it was pretty much the same story as KR. Besides the sadness, would you recommend it?

Without reservation. It's a wonderful, though somewhat flawed, story. It is The Kite Runner, the female version, from what I've read. I'm going to read The Kite Runner eventually.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby iwishiplayedguitar » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:54 pm

i only cried once from a book. when dumbledore was "killed." i didn't even cry when sirius died. but dumbledore hit me hard.
my daemon hermes, he likes to change into a koala and hang on my shoulder while i play city of heroes. he also likes waffles.

Narci/gay/15/Likes purple
iwishiplayedguitar
Grazer

Postby xLITTLE RED FRUITx » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:43 pm

In the subtle knife when will's father dies and in the amber spyglass at the end
And... in Where the red fern grows
Image Image They're trousers, I'm a girl, don't be stupid.
xLITTLE RED FRUITx
Grazer

Postby ~Lirael » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:15 am

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer made me cry. I became attached to Bella and Edward in Twilight and the end of New Moon was so full of emotion. I cried out of happiness and sadness, two contradictory emotions, yet I felt them simultaneously.
~Lirael
Grazer

Postby Idril » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:10 pm

HP&OOTP = Sirius' death...he was my favourite character :(
HP&HBP = Dumbledore's death...sooo sad!!
Amber Spyglass = well...I think everything here know why...
Shadow in the North (always PP) = another favourite character's death!
Idril
Grazer

Re: Which are the books that have made you cry?

Postby Emparise » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:08 am

The Amber Spyglass - The ending was really, really sad.

Bridge to Terabithia - I know, I'm childish, but when Leslie died it was very touching.

The Subtle Knife - I got teary-eyed when Mr. Scoresby died.

The Water Horse - Kinda sad when the two had to seperate.

WOW. I'm very sad. :wink:
Emparise
Grazer

Postby potters_pimp » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:19 am

- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (I know CS Lewis' writing style is really dry, but when I read how much Reepicheep wanted to get to Aslan's Country I just got a little choked up).
- Lee Scoresby's death.
- It wasn't the book, but I cried in the movie of Bridge to Terabithia
- The end of the movie of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. (I just wanted Sam to say "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to." and leave with Frodo.)
- Oh and all that Snape stuff at the end of DH.
I know the last two are movies, but I suppose they're based on books.
potters_pimp
Grazer

Postby Philharmonic » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:05 am

The Amber Spyglass.

In answer to the original post, I read another section of the 'Farthing Wood' series (Battle for the Park), and that made me cry too-Toad and Mossy died! I mean how could that happen?

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Silversnake » Fri May 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Oh boy...

The Amber Spyglass- Phillip Pullman: I held it in :P

Noughts and Crosses - Malorie Blackman: How could anyone NOT cry whilst reading this book, I mean seriously, buy this book and find out :P

Slam- Nick Hornby: Okay this one doesnt really count, but its an emotional book so deserves a mention.

Firesong- [I forget who wrote it]: Verge of tears... I never really got emotional over this one except at the veeery end... I kinda ruined it cus I read Wind Singer, and Slaves of the Mastery, read about a quater of Firesong and stopped reading cus I kept looking ahead to see when they'd reach the homeland cus I thought the journey would be boring :? little did I know how great that book actually was.

Suprised to see how many people cryed during HP books, I read em all, but didnt get emotional over em.
Spoiler:
Nothing to see here move along, no seriously. Is my signature THAT exciting?! IS IT!??!! Heheh... You can go away now... Seriously... Hey... I wonder how long a asignature can be, as long as its in spoiler tags... Im gonna find out... But I need to write somthing in the mean time... Well here is a piece of information I found about duck, YAAAY DUCKS:
Duck is the common name for a number of species in the Anatidae family of birds. The ducks are divided between several subfamilies listed in full in the Anatidae article. Ducks are mostly aquatic birds, mostly smaller than their relatives the swans and geese, and may be found in both fresh water and sea water.

Ducks are sometimes confused with several types of unrelated water birds with similar forms, such as loons or divers, grebes, gallinules, and coots.
Hehehe, now back to my signature. Well I have nothing more to say. I hope you enjoyed reading this you nosy person you.
Silversnake
Zalif

Postby Jaya » Fri May 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Oh, seriously Firesong (William Nicholson) made me cry, I think. I just really liked the characters and some bits of it were oh... Just yeah. One of my favourite trilogies.

I don't really see why people cry in HP either. I think they're great books, but she's not really that good at writing for emotional bits (Sirius dying? What was that about? He fell through a veil! It was anticlimatic and not very emotional at all...although I suppose maybe a tiny bit later when he was looking for the mirror, still though, she just isn't very good at it) - and the only point I cried in the whole series was in GoF when Mrs Weasley hugged him at the end, but I think I've mentioned this before.

Recently, haven't read any cry-worthy books.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Silversnake » Sat May 10, 2008 2:17 pm

angelofboox wrote:Oh, seriously Firesong (William Nicholson) made me cry, I think. I just really liked the characters and some bits of it were oh... Just yeah. One of my favourite trilogies.

Ah yeah William Nicholson thats the one, thanks, yeah the characters are well developed in those books.
Spoiler:
Nothing to see here move along, no seriously. Is my signature THAT exciting?! IS IT!??!! Heheh... You can go away now... Seriously... Hey... I wonder how long a asignature can be, as long as its in spoiler tags... Im gonna find out... But I need to write somthing in the mean time... Well here is a piece of information I found about duck, YAAAY DUCKS:
Duck is the common name for a number of species in the Anatidae family of birds. The ducks are divided between several subfamilies listed in full in the Anatidae article. Ducks are mostly aquatic birds, mostly smaller than their relatives the swans and geese, and may be found in both fresh water and sea water.

Ducks are sometimes confused with several types of unrelated water birds with similar forms, such as loons or divers, grebes, gallinules, and coots.
Hehehe, now back to my signature. Well I have nothing more to say. I hope you enjoyed reading this you nosy person you.
Silversnake
Zalif

Return to “%s” Other Books