The Republic of Heaven

Eragon

Talk about other books here

Eragon

Postby Mr Anderson » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:25 am

I've just finished this book, and I would highly reccomend it. Its no Northern Lights of course, but engaging in its own right. But as a little extra, some of you may know that it is being made into a film, a film that is in fact due out Christmas. So, there is no harm in using it as a gauge against what the GC could turn out like is there? And it does look quite good!

EDIT: Well it was wishful thinking, the Movie is easily the most unpleasant cinema experience I have ever had the displeasure of sitting through. Avoid like the bubonic plauge.

Preview Documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLOsHfRbkg

Cut Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ethG8SbwB6k&search=eragon
Last edited by Mr Anderson on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Gabe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:49 am

Haven't read the books, but you may find this interview interesting...it's an interview with Christopher Paolini, Philip Pullman and Tamora Pierce.

And Powells is a local (to me) book store. :)
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby salvete » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm actually in the middle of Eragon but I must say that I am a little disappointed as it is now. I really don't find the guy very interresting but who knows, maybe it can still happen. And maybe I just had too great expectations because a lot of my friends enjoyed it so much.

I really found the interview very interresting though, especially because I've got a special relationship to all three of the authors. "song of the lioness" was some of the first fantazy books I ever read so I really owe Tamora Pierce quite a lot.
Be thou as chaste as ice, as pure as snow, thou shalt not escape calumny. - Hamlet
salvete
Zalif

Postby Diolmhain » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:21 pm

Eragon is great. What about Eldest?

My friend managed to convince this kid in my school that the third eragonbiik was out and it was green...
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:29 pm

Still haven't read this. I'm definitely going to look out for it though.

It's not fair, why do Eragon fans get a film before us? Many sraffies have been waiting for the HDM film for four years. Four long years. I'm starting to get the feeling that by the time HDM does come out, fantasy won't be as popular anymore and it'll fade away because so many other similar films have come before it.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Mr Anderson » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Eragon gets bashed a lot due to the similarity to the plot of the original starwars, and the background of Lord of the Rings. Frankly its all a load of sickening gobshite from biggots with little better to do than moan and groan at someones hard work. Incidently the same type of people that moaned and groaned at Tolkiens Hobbit due to its sweeping similarity to Beowulf. Or perhaps Star Wars' similarity to Buck Rogers. Its acctually laughable, they compair the prominant character Arya to Arwen. Their reasoning, she is a woman, an elf and 2 letters are the same. The fact that Arwen appears in the LotR Trilogy for all of 4 pages is of course no consequence. There are some people in the world that really just need a good smack.
There is no doubt where his inspiration lies of course. In all the bad reviews I have read, 95% is slandering comparisons to the titles mentioned above, then a hurried character analysis thrown on at the end. They simply do not have a clue what a story is about, a background is after all, just a background. The characters make the story and Paolini has made some great ones, Saphria and Brom in particular.
Last edited by Mr Anderson on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Jaya » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:03 am

Ah, what once was called inspiration is now called plagiarism. It's a sad sad time to live in.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby brynjarbjorn » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:53 pm

The first thing I heard about Eragon was from one of those who think that the author just copy-pasted material from Tolkien, but when I read an interview with the author last week I realized that it just wasn't true. I think I might buy the book and try it.
One thing I'm sure of is that his use of words will be quite different from Tolkien :) (i.e. Tolkien's famous flood of words)
brynjarbjorn
Unusual Suspect

Postby Calix » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:00 am

People throughout history have always created great and original stories even when they base a few ideas off an already established work. I myself have based ideas and characters off existing ones, but through the normal evolution of ideas they've become something entirely different and unique.

angelofboox wrote:Ah, what once was called inspiration is now called plagiarism. It's a sad sad time to live in.

So that is indeed true, and yes, quite sad.
Calix
Witch

Postby Angel to follow » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:27 pm

I don't believe that but then i'm in a good mood so....
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby salvete » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:24 pm

I once read that a original author isn't someone who doesn't imitate others but someone who is impossible to imitate, and I find that very true. Of course a lot of books are inspirated by Tolkien but why shouldn't they be?! He created a complete univers and it would actually be an insult if it didn't inspirate other authors. So #cough, cough# my point actually is that I absolutely agree with all of you on this subject. :roll:
Be thou as chaste as ice, as pure as snow, thou shalt not escape calumny. - Hamlet
salvete
Zalif

Postby Calix » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:18 am

In addition to what I've already said, there are the blatant rip-offs. The thing is, a lot of Tolkien-based fantasy books are really...not that good, and a reader can usually spot the BS right away. A big difference between inspiration and blatant plagiarism.

Why recreate an existing world when you can make your own?
Calix
Witch

Postby salvete » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:06 pm

Well, well, well... I am afraid I'll have to take back what I said about Eragon... Suddenly it just caught me and now I absolutely agree with you, it is brilliant!!! Wow, I really hadn't expected that, it happened out of nowhere. I was reading one chapter and I didn't like the book very much, but then as I was reading the next chapter, i just couldn't let it go... Weird..! - but great :D
salvete
Zalif

Postby Jaya » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:03 pm

Calix wrote:Why recreate an existing world when you can make your own?

Make your own? That's hard - you have to base any fictional work you do on what you already know of the world - and so it's hard to differ greatly and originally from ALL THE BOOKS THAT HAVE EVER BEEN WRITTEN.

someone I can't remember (Milton?) wrote:All fiction has some basis in fact.

(or something in a similar vein)
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Somewhat » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:15 am

Mr Anderson wrote:Eragon gets bashed a lot due to the similarity to the plot of the original starwars, and the background of Lord of the Rings. Frankly its all a load of sickening gobshite from biggots with little better to do than moan and groan at someones hard work. Incidently the same type of people that moaned and groaned at Tolkiens Hobbit due to its sweeping similarity to Beowulf. Or perhaps Star Wars' similarity to Buck Rogers. Its acctually laughable, they compair the prominant character Arya to Arwen. Their reasoning, she is a woman, an elf and 2 letters are the same. The fact that Arwen appears in the LotR Trilogy for all of 4 pages is of course no consequence. There are some people in the world that really just need a good smack.
There is no doubt where his inspiration lies of course. In all the bad reviews I have read, 95% is slandering comparisons to the titles mentioned above, then a hurried character analysis thrown on at the end. They simply do not have a clue what a story is about, a background is after all, just a background. The characters make the story and Paolini has made some great ones, Saphria and Brom in particular.

I'm afraid I'm one of those people. I'm not at all insulted, though. How would the human race progress if we couldn't shout at each other once in a while? :P
Paolini heavily uses elements from many fantasy books, not just LotR. For me, it's not a case of copying characters but using very cliched themes that have been worn out over the 50-odd years since LotR. For instance, Arya in an elf, and obviously beautiful. Therefore Eragon has to fall in love with her. There is no romance nor any deeper motives in the books. Brom is a sagely old person, and obviously has a great secret to tell his pupil. When someone creates a truly new and memorable story and characters, like HDM, that is a great work of fiction. Eragon is just one of the better unoriginal works, dozens of which are published each year.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby salvete » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:25 pm

Yes that was exactly what I thought in the beginning too so I really get what you mean Moonflash, but then I realised that it has got some great elements in it though. And Saphira is indeed one of them. I liked the hole idea of these dragons and their story and the fact that they weren't just a way to get around with but actually thinking creatures.

It is not like this has becomed my favourite book or anything. It is not AT ALL in the same league as HDM not even nearby. Eragon hasn't really got a very exiting personality and that was what I hated in the beginning. I mean he is all good and well....not that interesting.

What really counts for me when it comes to books is that it can make me look forward to read the next chapter and that it can make me forget what is on my mind in that exact moment. Good books really are the best cure for sadness and as long as it makes me fell better I'll be the first to recommend it to others. In the end Eragon did that for me and is therefore to be viewed as good. Of course that is just my opinion and as I said I really see what you mean...

I'll have to say that I haven't yet read The Eldest and it is more than likely that what I think about these books will be changed once again. :lol:
salvete
Zalif

Postby Mr Anderson » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:17 pm

characters, like HDM, that is a great work of fiction. Eragon is just one of the better unoriginal works, dozens of which are published each year.

I will agree with you there, HDM is one of the most original things I have read. (Perhaps because I have not read Paradise Lost). In this day and age, no fictional story is not in some way influenced by previous works, not even HDM. The resource of originality is as scarce as life in the universe and fading every year. There will come a time in my opinion when every story that can be told, will have been told, and every possible human emotion and relationship explored and understood.

Brom is a sagely old person, and obviously has a great secret to tell his pupil

Careful there, the Mentor Archetype ie Brom is used in almost every fictional story ever written, especially fantasy, it is their job to convey wisdom to the protagonist. Sometimes he is one character sometimes he is many. Gandalf, Obi-Wan, Thorin, Serafina and even Iorek have a mentor role at some point.
IDIOT, n.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby EtherealAnguish » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:10 pm

I read Eragon days after completing HDM, so my opinion might be slightly slanted. Also, a friend of mine read the book before it was mass published and in so many words ripped it a new one. So, going into the book I had some preconceived notions. Enough rambling...here's my review.

As everyone seems to agree, Eragon is no comparison to the trilogy. In fact, I didn't enjoy the book while I was reading it, yet I couldn't seem to stop. That signifies, to me anyway, that the book had some redeeming qualities. Sure it's not overly original and the reader can tell some of the influences, but the author obviously had enough talent to keep the story moving along. The author still created another world that played to my need for fantasy and moved that story along fairly well. I did feel character development lacked a bit and parts of the story seemed a little contrived. I don't think the author has as much foresight as Pullman, so the story didn't flow as seamlessly as I might have hoped. However, it's still a good read if you like fantasy and I'll admit I am looking forward to reading Eldest.
I swear I'll melt if you touch me at all, but then I'll ask you to do it again and again
EtherealAnguish
Grazer

Postby rats_rox » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:30 pm

I love the inheritance trilogy! Although I think that they are going to ruin the film, I mean, have you seen Arya, the book makes a great point of the fact that she hasblack hair, and the woman just doesnt look right! Also, I get the feeling that they may use a snake - chinese - dragon for saphira! I believe that she is meant tto have the same body structure as the dragon in shrek, and in english myth and legend. Also her voice had better be good! The only good bit in my opinion so far is that eragon and roran are fit! I rest my case!
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby Justine » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:12 am

i've only read Eragon, because I am still waiting for them to come out in paperback. (I waited forever for Eragon to come out in paperback, but I was impatient, and finally gave in, and a week later it came out in paperback. I'm not doing that again.)

I don't know. It was an ok story I suppose. Not one of my favorite books though. I didn't really like the writing style either, but that could just be my taste.
*hug* i love you!
Justine
Angel

AOL: bluiswitedragon6

Return to “%s” Other Books